Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 206

Options
  • 09-09-2003 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Just wondering if any of ye have any experiences/opinions regarding the Peugeot 206. The girfriend is interested in getting a second hand one. We were looking at one today a 1.1 litre, 1999. Price €7000.
    Drove it and it seemed fine. 35000 on the clock. Are there known problems with these cars or is there anything particular I should be looking out for.

Appreciate your comments...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

I have a 206 a 03 model and went up from a 00 206. I have had no problems with any of the 2 cars and they're really nice to drive. I'd go for a newish 01 car if poss. But for €7000 it's not that bad. Also if you're into modding the car, which I'm not too fond of, it's a dream car to do it. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭jamesd

I had one for a year and I would not recommend one.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

elaborate jamesd.
    My wife bought a 00 reg last February (with 4 1/2 K on the clock :D) and like her previous 106 has been extremely reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭jamesd

I had a 99 1.4GLX for 1 year, Replaced an injector,replaced the coil twice and also replaced alot of the front suspension replaced (expensive parts)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

If your after a super mini from in 99/00 space, i'd recommend that model of VW Polo. I've driven both and prefered the Polo, seems to have a sturier build and more spacious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

My sister has a '99 206 the past few years, she's had only 1 problem with it and that was the cpu but it turns out that it was a fault on a fleet of the '99 206's brought out so i'd advise checking more into that.

I've driven it for a few weeks when my own car was in the garage and i found it great to drive, very comfortable car and great from an economy point of view too.

given the choice between a 206 and a polo i reckon the pug would win hands down.

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 greenday chick

bought my 00 206 lx this time last year. no problems yet! and as someone said above...great car to modify.

heres mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

The earlier batches of the 206 gave nothing but trouble form what I have heard from both mechanics and a few owners. I am sure they have sorted out the problems by now.

BTW I have a mk3 Ibiza (99, 30K miles) going for the same money if your interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

dont post a pic kayos or the same thing will happen as last time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

The Brake light switch is always falling out on the 206 - I know loads of people it happened to. This meant that the brake lights were always on until someone told the driver about it.

Also I think all the new Peugeots have just way too many electronic components which are all badly made. Loads of 206s had gearbox trouble. Parts are too expensive and most dealers charge you way more than the RRP anyway. It'll cost you over 50 euro just for a single door moulding that's not painted.

Too much thought went into styling and not enough into safety.

Let's just say I hate Peugeots and I ususally laugh when I see them, but seriously folks, some of them , especially the 307, are dangerous cars in my opinion. I would advise against buying any Peugeot.

Maybe all cars are as bad, I dunno??? I would appreciate feedback if any mechanics wanna tell me about other car manufacturers with loads of recalls done on every vehicle they bring out.

Check out this post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

esthetically speaking, i think the 206 is the most beautiful of its category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

get urself a real Peugeot. A 1.9 dsl 306 commercial. Modern peugeots are sheer ****e. Both styling and reliability,ect.........

306 commercial or an old 205 are the only peugeots worth considering. Leave the 206`s to the frenchies that make them.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've been driving a 206 for about a year and a half and I've never had a moment's trouble with it. It's nice to drive, very comfortable and cheap to run. I'd have no hesitation in recommending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Originally posted by rander00
    get urself a real Peugeot. A 1.9 dsl 306 commercial. Modern peugeots are sheer ****e. Both styling and reliability,ect.........

306 commercial or an old 205 are the only peugeots worth considering. Leave the 206`s to the frenchies that make them.

I thought they built some of them in their plant in England...

I know someone who works in a Peugeot garage, he told me that they suffer from gearbox problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The Brake light switch is always falling out on the 206 - I know loads of people it happened to. This meant that the brake lights were always on until someone told the driver about it.

I dont think it's only the 206 either ! I wasn't aware of this problem but I do recall driving behind a 307cc ( or 306 - not sure - it was a 02 model anyway) for about 5 miles annoyed that the brakelights were on the whole time ! When the driver pulled into a garage I told her about it ( yes her, you wouldn't expect a bloke to drive one of these now - would you?)

Now if I could just figure out why the headlights on my alfa dim when I switch on the indicators . . . .

Tinky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

and the lights on my dads 01 laguna dim when you use the electric windows

:(

Advertisement