Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P3 mobo woes- Silly little errors!! Please help

• 09-09-2003 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

I recently got my hands on an about 2 year old p3 mobo, 800mhz p3, 256 ram out of an HP system
    All appears to be in workin order.
    I booted it using a 200w atx psu and a 20 gig hdd master and cdrom slave plugged into ide2 header. No floppy and 64 meg graphics in agp slot.
    As no fan came wit heat sink i tried bootin without it and just used da fan on my case which plugs into psu.
    It booted and hp white screen came up , then it counted upto 256mb ram but then it beeped giving 4 errors.
    1 no fan plugged into top rear socket
    2 configured hard drive not conntected to ide1. press f4 to allow for new drive to be used
    3 configured hard drive not conntected to ide2. press f4 to allow for new drive to be used
    4 configured cdrom not conntected. press f4 to allow for new drive to be used

I got a fan plugged it in and it spun fine so i rebooted and error 1 still came up as did 2-4
    I tried all different config for da drives but still got the strange messages and when i hit f4 it just beeped and did nothing. I tried removing da cdrom for boot menu in setup but it wouldnt allow me to!!
    Has any1 got any idea whats goin on? How do i get around these silly errors and boot into windows.
    The bios is phoenix bios 6 version4 i think (not sure) defo pheonix tho.
    Please help!! Need to get it goin in da next 2 days or im screwed.
    Thanks a mill in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Around 2-3 years ago there were 2 different IDE cables in use.

The older (ATA33) will require that you jumper the drives master or slave

The newer (ATA66) will allow that or will let you set the jumper to cable select on both devices.

Not all onboard IDE controllers supported the newer cable at that time, they all do now. The newer cable has more (thinner) wires in it. You should get an oder cable and try the specific jumpers and the devices may appear. Any p2 or p3 (266-600) would more than likely have that older cable.

HTH

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

The error with the fan is due to the fact that the fan you inserted does not have a fan rpm sense cable, this fan rpm sense is used by all cpu fans (so machine will power down if there is a fan failure) ... to fix your problem, buy a fan with a rpm sense ....

.... as for the HD problems ...do what Muck says first... it could be that you need to go into the bios and manually set the hard disk parapeters ... make sure that the little jumper on the HD is master, the cdrom should be set to slave... some mobos need the bootable drive to be on the ide1 connector ... try to put the cdrom on the ide2 connector (with its own cable of course, in this case set the cdrom to be master)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

forgot that !

make the HD master on IDE1 not IDE2 if possible.

You will not have to set the drive up in the BIos if the cable is sound...I'd say , that had been sorted out by 3 years ago. If your HD drive exceeds c. 144Gb (correct me please) then there may be size issues.

Most drives shipped when your machine was built were 20-30Gb or so.

The fans with the rpm sensor are about 15 euros....who sells them in Dublin ? Peats ?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

Ok i sorted out errors 2-4. the cable was faulty and a new 1 fixed it.

Went onto motherboard.org last night and got some real good help with the fan error. it turns out that the mobo is off a vectra pc and that many people had this very same prob when they tried to change to a new case.
    The facts are that the vectra came with no fan over the processor and the only 1 in da case was the psu fan. Ordinary fans will not work with it.
    There is a possible hack wit normal atx psu's which i have info i will post later after work.
    I dunno anything about rpm sense cables? how do i know if the fan i have has such a thing. It gas a 3 pin header on it ok but only 2 wires- a +12v and gnd.
    Does any1 know where i could get 1 of these in limerick. i tried all da usual places pcworld, intouch and nothin!!
    Wat about komplett? sorry i havnt got time now - ill check after,
    thanks
    joc

Advertisement