Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking

• 09-09-2003 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I've got 3 PCs and have decided to network them. Bought NICs, a 4-port hub and cable. Now I don't have a clue what to do next:confused:

All PC's are running Win2k Pro and I want to connect to the net through one of them.

Any advice?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Networking on a shoe string - on the pc you're going to use as a gateway (for inet) use windows connection sharing (right click on connection - share tab).
    This will enable a simple dhcp server which if yer other pcs have their IP settings to autoconfig will get assigned an IP addy - instant network.
    It will also enable a simple proxy so all the machines on the network can access the internet when the gateway is connected)

Or you could just pick a good network IP range 192.168.0.xxx is the usual and assign each machine an IP manually (subnet mask usally being 255.255.255.0 - windows will figure this out for you) and the gateway to the IP of the machine with the netconnection...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

There's a network setup wizard to do everything for you if you're not sure of what to do. Go to Network Connections in control panel. It's called 'Set up a home or office network' in win XP, but it might be called something else in 2k, can't remember. It'll run you through a series of questions that you have to answer, like which computer will have the net connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭tech

Are all you pcs running Windows 2k and Win XP ?

Check out this site

www.wown.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 phychobishop

I found that website very haandy. All the PCs are running Win2k pro.

Don't understand anything about IP addresses though:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

an ip address is like the telephone number of each machine.
    Each Machine needs a contact number which is can be reached at on the network, this is the IP.

If you google on this subject you will find tutorials on how to assign IPs to machines correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

To be frank, it's pi$$ easy. I made a network with XP Pro, XP Home, and Windows 98 with ease. It'll only take a few minutes to be honest! Just follow the inbuild XP wizards for the easiest solution, and ensure everyone is in the same workgroup. Test it by sharing a folder maybe on each machine and see if you can access (read/write) to each of these folders.

It's actually disappointingly easy almost :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

ugh, networking XP home? Are you crazy loco? ;)

Advertisement