Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driver aids in F1

• 09-09-2003 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Do you think Driver aids such as launch and traction control should be banned.

Personally i think they should. They compromise the very competitveness of the sport. Since their introduction in early 2001 f1 has become boring and monotanous. F1 is the very pinacle of single seater racing and electronic aids are turing the drivers into machine minders. In the past two years the gaps between the top teams and the lesser teams has increased sharply. The teams are able to better themselves by investing millions of euro in software. That in my view is not sporting its paritcipating in a high tech business.

should driver aids be banned 12 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

I'm glad this was brought up.

Traction control should be banned for the cruel noise it makes if nothing else.

Launch control is another farse. It's a skill to get a F1 car of the line. If theese are to stay the FIA might aswell get rid of the drivers altogether & use robots or radio controls to drive them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭irishman_abroad

The only problem is policing the lack of TC. The reason it was made legal in the first place was because the FIA could not prove/disprove anyone was using it so they had to let everyone use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i agree that that type of stuff should be got rid off, to make for more exciting driver controlled races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

I think technology is part of Formula 1 like all top level motorsports (wrc, dtm, btcc etc). Teams will always strife for an advantage, and often bend the rules. This will just bring about more incidents like the current tyre fun and games. The FIA have tried and succeed in banning a number of aids. While nothing can act upon the wheels, TC was implemented in the engine instead. Teams find ways around. The real question is will trying to ban driver aids improve racing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I voted no, cos banning driver aids is impossible to police and I hate to see Ferrari gain an advantage by using them illegally. I'd put nothing past them and the mess with the Michelins has proved how they can successfully manipulate the rules and the FIA to suit themselves.
    However driver aids do nullify real driver skill. It's like the qualifying with the race day fuel, you can't really tell who's done a brilliant lap and who messed u because you don't know the fuel loads. Anyone would think the FIA don't want people to watch the races!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Originally posted by Kalina
    However driver aids do nullify real driver skill.
    If driver aids nullify skill, does that make all drivers equal? How come team mates are often so far apart in performance. It will always be more than just a person at a joypad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭v10

Haven't the FIA already decided that Traction control is to be banned from 2004 ? It was to be be banned from Silverstone this year and when threatened Williams legal action the FIA decided to postpone until next year. That's how I remember it ... They have apparently developed a system to be installed on the car that will detect any traction control on the car and this is why they decided to put a ban on it again.

Anywho ... my opinion is that it should be banned and hopefully it will be banned from 2004 ... I'm not too bothered by launch control, although I don't see why it's neccessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by Kalina
    and I hate to see Ferrari gain an advantage by using them illegally.

What?
    I think you are confusing Ferrari with some other team renowned for cheating[and doesnt even exist today[technically]].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Originally posted by zeris
    If driver aids nullify skill, does that make all drivers equal? How come team mates are often so far apart in performance. It will always be more than just a person at a joypad.

I wouldn't say it makes all drivers equal, just that it levels the playing field a little too much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

well some driver aids are better than others:
    for instance the renaults launch control is second to none

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

Driver aids should be banned ( and they will be soon ), its a drivers world championship not a computer world championship. Also telemetary from cars should be banned ( make the mechanics and drivers work like they used to ) and pitwall to car radio ( unless the transmissions can be available to everyone freely )

And for those who say technology is a part of the championship , lke wrc etc...

WRC is more about the driver than the car ( although the car is important , just look at what happens .. Montoya spins in Hungary through a lapse of concentration and still gets 3rd , McRae has a momentary lapse in concentraction in Kenya couple of years ago and ends up losing the lead )

Advertisement