Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with stubborn AVI file

Options
  • 09-09-2003 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to simply move an avi file from one folder to another, but i keep getting an error message saying its being used by another programme or user - and its not. (im on xp and use one account).
    Its driving me mad - whats the problem? Is this normal? I even installed Dr. Divx, the file is not corrupt, but it just wont move anywhere!
    Anyone know whats happening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

is there a pane on the Left of the folder trying to previe the movie for u? trying getting rid of that.

Can u right click on the file and select "copy" then in the new folder go "edit - > paste" as opposed to clicking and dragging?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

No, no previews.
    The thing is i cant do anything with the file, it freezes my whole system - cant move, edit, delete,nothing. Viewing the properties section takes about 30 mins to open !
    I'm stuck.
    I installed and reinstalled the DivX player, i (think) i have all the new codecs etc, all to no avail.
    The error message sez it's being used by another user or programme, that's the bit i cant figure out.
    :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by aphex™
    Can u right click on the file and select "copy" then in the new folder go "edit - > paste" as opposed to clicking and dragging?
    Just what I'd suggest (delete the priginal after). It's what I've had to do with the occasional difficult avi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Open the Task Manager (ctrl-shift-esc) and go to the Processes tab. Kill 'explorer.exe', then go to File > New Task, enter 'cmd' and hit enter, then move/delete the file through the command line.

Run 'explorer' when you're done to get your GUI back.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

You could try using dos copy in a commandline box too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

Get in there in safe mode and move it then. Ive had this kind of truoble with kazaa file before and it worked perfect once it was moved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

copying a file, pasting it, then deleting the orignal, usually works when just plain dragging or cutting n pasting don't work. Dunno why.

Ahwell, yeah try the safe mode jobbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Cheers for all the replies guys.

Im still having no luck. Tried copying and then pasting into new file - it freezes everthing again after it's been searching the folder for other files (and not coming up with anything, even though there are other files in the folder)...
    So that's off.

To tell you the truth, im really paranoid about messing with the task manager and stopping explorer.exe , i dont know much about this...

Sico, any chance you could do a "task manager for dummies" thing?

Appreciate all your help.

Advertisement