Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privacy and Human Rights 2003

Options
  • 09-09-2003 11:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

[Mods, if you think this is off-topic, please move it to Security.]

Privacy and Human Rights 2003: Executive Summary

This annual report by EPIC and Privacy International reviews the state of privacy in over fifty-five countries around the world. It outlines legal protections for privacy, and summarizes important issues and events relating to privacy and surveillance.

[...]

Republic of Ireland

Although there is not an express reference to a right to privacy in the Irish Constitution, the Supreme Court has ruled an individual may invoke the personal rights provision in Article 40.3.1 to establish an implied right to privacy.[1493] This article provides that "The State guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate the personal rights of the citizens."

[...]

Good to see FOIA, the Cabinet directive and other important issues being reported in a document that will likely get worldwide attention. I wasn't aware of the Reach "vaults", nor did I know that "opt-out" was fixed in law in Ireland. On the flip side, a couple of things niggled with me but employee Internet monitoring in particular is something that I personally view as a non-issue, as long as the company is clear about what's happening.

As far as I'm concerned, if an employee want to use company resources for personal reasons, it's up to them to ask the company to put technical measures in place to protect their privacy when they're doing so. I haven't worked for many companies, but I think at least one of those would consider this reasonably and quite likely make an effort to implement it.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I happened across this earlier http://www.reach.ie/ it seems .... eh .... fuzzy in it's objectives.

Quick. Where's Thaed?

Advertisement