Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vast improvement with netsource?

• 10-09-2003 3:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

It appears the dark ages are coming to and end and netsource are getting there act together.

Ive had problems since day one of the throttling - having been throttled myself - and things just got worse from there on

But its being a few weeks now and since Monday things have gotten much better. Downloads seem to be back at speed consistently over 50kb/s, web surfing is no longer a bitch and pings have been great 24 hour . Last game had pings of 50-60 in a 20 player uk server - at 9.30pm

I hope everyone can say the same and we can agree things are much better now and we can all hope this is how its going to be for a long time.

Forgot to mention that the only hiccup is programs that dont like proxy have a hard time working. :eek: programs like dc++... hmm wonderful if that was intentional :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

My pings are grand but downloading is still a pain, at 11.5kbs from www.netsource.ie/bigfile.zip. DC++ downloads don't break 500bytes/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

I dunno its still on the wobbly side I think. Last night I was getting pings of 150 on english servers which is much better than it was for the last few weeks but its still looking like I will be cancelling my account on friday, but yes the performance has got a lot better for surfing and downloading since monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

may i just point you to this article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/3094152.stm) in bbc technology section.
    The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign found that the top 10% of users were generating 58% of net traffic.
    where did we hear this before?! :)

to stay on the topic. i've been having fine pings untill last night where some spiking occured. my downloads have been perfect though.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Crawling, max 13kbs since black thursday, pings are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

Gave up. Moving to SME.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

just got switched on with ns today at lunch time; got 55k downloads and 40 - 50 pings right up until 9pm, when d/ls slumped to around the 25k mark... 10.30pm now and its back up to 43kb/sec.

that's all with the bigfile.zip.

My friend is on Esat and on the bandwidth speed test,
    http://www.zdnet.co.uk/misc/band-test/speedtest50.html

he gets

430.2 Kbps

52.7 K bytes/sec

and he says thats almost constant. only changes by tiny fractions.

At the mo mine changes quite drastically on each refresh, just got
    352.9 Kbps

43.3 K bytes/sec

... do a refresh and i get
    435.4 Kbps

53.4 K bytes/sec

anyway.

Later.

DangerMan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

My download speeds have been all over the shop in the last two days.

Yesterday I was getting a cumulative 64Kb/s, but today I am only managing between 4-25.

I wouldn't put too much faith in that Zdnet test. I've had results from 4K/s up to 3.3Mb/s today.

Pings are also still absolutely ****. I've seen no improvement in this regards since the throttling was introduced, which is annoying.

Ping statistics for 217.114.166.10:
    Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 477, Lost = 23 (4% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 3755ms, Average = 1342ms

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mralphabet

Since Being throttled .. Mine has gone from bad to Moderatley bad to just plain thick -
    This mornin i was downloading from netsource.ie at the fantastic speed of 2kb/s - Hoping theyll get there act together and actually answer my emails this time... they have a habit of not replying these days. btw the max speed ive been able to download from anywhere ive tried is 5kb/s its like 56k modem except alot more expensive :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

I'm getting steady speeds of 12Kb/s today. What really annoys me, outside of the obvious things, is that there is no way in hell I could have been in the top 10%. I've dl'ed 15GB max in the last month, and for a first month that is hardly excessive.

Seriously pissed here. Its not as if the pings have improved either:

Ping statistics for 217.114.166.10:
    Packets: Sent = 50, Received = 49, Lost = 1 (2% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 213ms, Maximum = 3040ms, Average = 1512ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

qwertyup have you rang the joke of a company up to see if you are on the extra contention? I wouldn't saprised if you where.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Blank

I dont get it why are my pings fine when others arent? That truely sucks ass for you guys, sorry:(

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

I might aswell be on a 56k

22.1 kilobits per second

Run the test again Discuss in the forum
    Details

Your raw speed was 22134.31 bits per second which is the same as:

Communications

22.1 kilobits per second
    How communication devices are rated. Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet

Storage

2.7 kilobytes per second
    The way data is measured on your hard drive and how file sharing and FTP programs measure transfer speeds. Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.

1MB file download

6.3 minutes
    The time it would take you to download a 1 megabyte file at this speed.

Pings are low but extremely unstable & they have stopped responding to my emails I look forward to seeing them in court:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

Well I see Netsource is back to normal...

record.jpg

I'm getting 200 pings again + 56k standard download speeds.....

Phew, I taught there for a while I was going to be getting low pings and 512k download speeds, thank god I was wrong !!!

I wonder when broadband will be available in my area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

It has been fine for me for the last week, at peak times it gets a wee bit laggy but this morning its fine.

Reply from 217.114.170.92: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=58
    Reply from 217.114.170.92: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=58

You won't beat those pings on DSL like, downloads are their usual 53-55KB/s

Paul

[edit] upside of all this is at least the packet loss we were seeing is gone!! [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Got hooked up to netsource within 6 days....

Im surfing now on dsl. Speeds seem to be holding around the 30kb mark.

Haven't seen a 55kb yet.

Lets see how this develops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Web browsing is nearly back to 'normal' since my last post, boards is actually browsable now :)

Speeds up to about the throttled 20kbs, wonder if NS explanation that all is ok with non-throttled users is actually the truth (just looked at Ando post).

Advertisement