Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP Pro

Options
  • 10-09-2003 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

When I do CTRL-ALT-DELETE under Windows XP Pro I just get the Task Manager. But what I want is to be able to lock the workstation.

How do you lock the workstation under XP Pro?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Originally posted by schrodinger
    When I do CTRL-ALT-DELETE under Windows XP Pro I just get the Task Manager. But what I want is to be able to lock the workstation.

How do you lock the workstation under XP Pro?????

??
    You should get a 'lock computer' tab when you press control/alt/delete in xp pro..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

ohhh there is a setting in XP to enable/disable this part.
    Let me see if I can find it again.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

You can create a shortcut to lock a windows workstation, I think it works for XP too.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314969

Luc

does windows key and L lock the computer still.
    Try disabling fast user switching

MS knowledgebase article 281980

Using CTRL+ALT+DEL Key Combination to Open Windows Security Opens Task Manager
    The information in this article applies to:
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

This article was previously published under Q281980
    SYMPTOMS
    When you use the keyboard combination CTRL+ALT+DEL to open the Windows Security window, Task Manager is opened instead.
    CAUSE
    This issue occurs if you configured Microsoft Windows XP to use the Welcome screen.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, disable the Welcome screen. To do this, follow these steps:
    In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
    Click Change the way users log on or off.
    Click to clear the Use the welcome screen for fast and easy logon check box.
    Click OK.
    NOTE: The Fast User Switching option is disabled if the Welcome screen is disabled.
    STATUS
    This behavior is by design.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

When I do this it takes to the switch user screen with the user icons and mine saying logged in.

Can you not just lock the workstation and have it the way it would be under Win2K?? The small box saying workstatiopn locked and only the specified user or an administrator can unlock it.

• Advertisement

the Windows logo key and L should lock the workstation anyway with having to ctrl Alt delete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Essentially, the blue XP screen listing the users is that small 'locked workstation' dialog box. The XP machine is in a similar state to the Win2k machine when on the 'users' screen. Even though you are still logged in, you have to supply a password to regain access, (assuming you have one set, you do, don't you?) :) It's the same with Win2K, just looks different, that's all.

Luc

AFAIK, with the welcome screen, another user can still logon provided their name is also listed there, the workstation is not 'locked out' to only the first user who is still logged in (if that makes any sense)
    The only way to get rid of this is to disable both the welcome screen (which is a bit Playskool anyway) and also to disable fast user switching. If user switching is enabled then you're telling XP that you don't want to lock out the system to the person already logged in

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Windows key and L does the trick as mentioned eariler in the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Go to "user accounts" in control panel, then "change the way users log on/off" and untick the "use welcome screen option"

Damn I'm good ;)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Kananga

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, disable the Welcome screen. To do this, follow these steps:
    In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
    Click Change the way users log on or off.
    Click to clear the Use the welcome screen for fast and easy logon check box.
    Click OK.
    NOTE: The Fast User Switching option is disabled if the Welcome screen is disabled.
    Originally posted by Moridin

Go to "user accounts" in control panel, then "change the way users log on/off" and untick the "use welcome screen option"

Damn I'm good

erm didn't I already say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

No, no you didn't... *blinkers* ;)

I don't think either of us had read your post, and schrodinger had been whining about it all day in our ears in here ;)

well, as long as he fixed it guess;)

Advertisement