Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTVip Constantly engaged

Options
  • 10-09-2003 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Just got UTVip and if is an absolute pain to get online. Took a lot of redialing to get through even during the day. why is this? Are they totally over subscribed?

is the 1893 number the correct one? IE eircom dont charge me for it?

James

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

get the utv dialer (link should be in your welcome to utv email)

if the flat rate will be engaged the dialer will redirect you to the pay per minute number - all at utv's cost, you will not pay anything extra if within the 180 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by silent
    get the utv dialer (link should be in your welcome to utv email)

if the flat rate will be engaged the dialer will redirect you to the pay per minute number - all at utv's cost, you will not pay anything extra if within the 180 hours

What is the UTVip flat rate number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

1893242242 (utvip xl)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Two nights ago at about 10.30 I nearly lost my rag dialing about 50 times before I gave up and used indigo. It seems to be a problem mostly late-ish in the evening.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

There have been quite a few posts on this since utvip xl came on the market. From my own experience, i just get the occassional prolonged logon procedure - which, although irritating is more the exception than the rule.

I would imagine that the problems lie with busier exchanges where there are a higher proportion of subscribers dialing up??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I too had the engaged problem. I rang UTV support. They told you HAVE to use the dialer. Reason being if the first number is engaged the dialer will ring different numbers (which seemingly costs UTV a packet).

I have the lastest exe file (dialer) at home. Let me know if you need it and I'll post a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

I have the lastest exe file (dialer) at home. Let me know if you need it and I'll post a link

yes please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lunabu_ie

Help!
    I've only been using UTVip for a few days and am generally happy with the flat-rate interness access, that is if I manage to get online. I've been on the phone to their technical support (very helpful and nice), but I've been told that it's down to my ISDN line that I get error message 629 or 753 about 50% of the time. They say that my ISDN doesn't default to their alternative number(s).
    And they are not allowed to give out those alternative numbers as it will cost UTV internet a lot more. I have, however, been told that someone posted at least one of the alternative number here on this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haven't found it yet and I'm actually paying for being online at present as I couldn't do it with their dialer.
    Can anyone help me please?
    If you know the other number.....something 1890........please mail me: lunabu_ie@yahoo.com
    but please only if you're sure.
    I'd gladby buy someone a pint (or send the money for a pint) if I get the right reply a.s.a.p.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Thanks for your reply.
    Unfortunately, the dialer is not the problem. I'm using it all the time.
    What they told me is that my ISDN modem doesn't default to the alternative number automatically and that they're not allowed to give it out.
    Has nobody posted it here in this forum????????
    I'm offering a pint again:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

here ya go.

note the carrier pre-select bit i(13513) in front of an 1890 number.

Zenith, you've made my day, week, month......
    Thanks a million. Will try out the number the next time I can't log on with the regular number on the dialer.
    If everything works fine, I'll be posting you a cheque for a pint. Fair enough?
    Please send your address to lunabu_ie@yahoo.com.
    Again, many thanks and regards,
    Luna:)

Zenith, what exactly does that mean....or what did you mean by it?
    :confused:

Originally posted by Lunabu_ie
    Zenith, what exactly does that mean....or what did you mean by it?
    :confused:

If you dont use it the call will go via €ircon and you will get charged by the Rat.

You learn something new every day. Thanks for that.:D

Well, I've put in the second number as well and I'm alternating between the 2 numbers.
    Still, when it's a busy time, it's pot luck if I get online or not. Who knows, maybe my chances have doubled by having this new number.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 J K Partridge

Other people having the same problems ..
    I have had to reconfigure my router to dial eircom (ISDN)
    3 times now - with calls lasting approx 3 hours.

I paid for an always online service
    and I am now getting an oversubscribed engaged tone

This rubbish about a second number the support people 'won't' give it out
    Ever heard of a hunt group ??
    A hunt group is where you can have several PrimaryRates (30 calls) linked to one phone number - there is no limitation to the number of primary rates in the hunt group -

This is not rocket science - it is simply a good service gone bad - when they needed your business they treated you well ... when they don't they treat you bad

They have changed their 'contention' - so more people share the same lines, probably seen as a good cost cutting measure.

UTV internet won an award last year for being the best service provider...
    if they are not careful they will win the reward next year for being the worst

To conclude -

I have had enough - I quite simply refuse to pay calls to eircom when UTV is engaged and I also refuse to connect to the internet only when most convenient for UTV
    I rang to disconnect and after about 1/2 hour wait I was given an email address - this address oddly enough didnt work - surprise surprise they werent too helpful when it comes to disconnection - so we are going down a different route now ....
    I simply have stopped paying

.... its all very fustrating.

My advice is -- get broadband !

Well, that sounds pretty bad.
    I used to be with IOL No Limits who treated me appallingly. I'm so far not unhappy with UTVip, as long as I manage to get online most of the time.
    Broadband would've been my first choice but is, unfortunately, not available in rural areas like mine. Maybe in 10 years time, maybe never:rolleyes:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by J K Partridge
    This rubbish about a second number the support people 'won't' give it out
    Ever heard of a hunt group ??
    A hunt group is where you can have several PrimaryRates (30 calls) linked to one phone number - there is no limitation to the number of primary rates in the hunt group -
    I doubt that would work when one of the numbers is a FRIACO port, and the other is a LoCall number intercepted by a CPS prefix.

My understanding before the product launched was that UTV were providing the rollover number so that (a) people could get through even when the FRIACO ports were all used up, and (b) to measure the demand for FRIACO ports, and adjust as required.

You say the other number is a lo call number - are you telling me you have to pay if the free (your prepaid) number is busy ??

This makes me even more mad !

Please don't take me as a grouch - I just believe that the service should be always available.
    I am curious if eircom 'always on' service is suffering similar service quality issues -

or do they fear the wrath of Comreg ?

Anyway don' t mean to influence anybody either way - just get whats right for you - there are more options every day - that is of course if you live in dublin, no one lives outside dublin anyway do they !

:eek:

• Advertisement

You say the other number is a lo call number - are you telling me you have to pay if the free (your prepaid) number is busy ??
    UTV have made it abuntantly clear on several occasions that this is something they are doing at considerable expense to themselves to try to provide as high-quality a service as possible. In other words, no, you don't pay for the call! My point was that you can't blithely suggest a solution to a problem without fully understanding all the parameters.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Request to a moderator to scratch the post containing the UTV 1890 number.

That number is only intended to take overflow calls that are not handled by UTVs FRIACO ports. This is an innovative scheme that allows UTV to buy fewer FRIACO ports and offer the cheapest flat rate on the market. Every call to the 1890 number costs UTV money and it should only be used for overspill. If Noddy's start using it as their normal dial up number (as Noddy's will) then UTV will lose money (potentially a lot of money) and that's will mean the end of their value for money service.

PS in my experience the system works very well. The FRIACO number is often busy at peak times but the overspill number always works for me. This is as it should be. UTV have deliberately bought fewer FRIACO ports than required for peak times in keep the costs (and prices low). Personally I hate the dialler but if it helps keep the cost down I'll put up with it.

^ What Mike said. ^

I asked Verb to do this, but maybe he didn't get the mail...?

Why wont the support people give out this number (to paying customers)!!!
    :(

I got talking to charles and he got all shirty with me.

Why wont the support people give out this number (to paying customers)!!!
    :(

I got talking to charles and he got all shirty with me.

Seems UTV are cutting corners. Not enough FRIACO ports and a so called secert overflow number. If you offer a service of 180 hours anytime internet at €24.99 a month you are bound to be swamped with customers. I have often spent 1 hour trying to get through and no luck. I agree with JK Partridge about UTV becoming the worst ISP. If they keep this up they will lose customers.

Given my experiences It would be worth paying a little extra to be sure of a quality service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    ^ What Mike said. ^

I asked Verb to do this, but maybe he didn't get the mail...?
    It's hardly a matter of national security, anyway seeing as UTV read/post to the boards here, I'm sure they'll spot it and do something on their side if it's going to cause them hassle.
    Just on a side note though. If they do not have the ports to handle the amount of users they have, regardless of the (very good) reasoning behind this, it's hardly surprising that people are going to get pissed off and use this alternative number.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

The central point here is that UTV have sold a service which they cannot supply. People should not take unfair advantage of the number, but I believe it's contained in every copy of the dialer that UTV distribute.

(The number was posted to ILUG, lads.
    Look on Fri 29/08/2003. Re: [ILUG] u.tv numbers.
    That's where I got the info.)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Originally posted by zenith
    The central point here is that UTV have sold a service which they cannot supply.

I am not sure if this statement is correct. Yes the FRIACO number is often busy but in my experience if you are using the dialler it will then dial the 1890 number and you will always get a line (the 1890 number is not port limited in the same way the FRIACO number is). Since you the user are not paying the 1890 charge you are still getting the service you paid for.

I do think that UTV have hit on a very innovative way of keeping the costs of flat rate dialup to a minimum. The system will fall apart however if people start configuring their Internet Explorer etc to dial the 1890 number by default (and it will happen). Granted anyone who knows what they are doing can get the number from their modem - but I would hope that anyone who knows what they are doing would understand the system enough not to abuse it. In hindsight I was naieve to think that you would pull the number but I for one will be dissapointed if this innovation by UTV fails because of abuse of the 1890 number.

Originally posted by Mad Mike
    I am not sure if this statement is correct. Yes the FRIACO number is often busy but in my experience if you are using the dialler it will then dial the 1890 number and you will always get a line (the 1890 number is not port limited in the same way the FRIACO number is). Since you the user are not paying the 1890 charge you are still getting the service you paid for.

I do think that UTV have hit on a very innovative way of keeping the costs of flat rate dialup to a minimum. The system will fall apart however if people start configuring their Internet Explorer etc to dial the 1890 number by default (and it will happen). Granted anyone who knows what they are doing can get the number from their modem - but I would hope that anyone who knows what they are doing would understand the system enough not to abuse it. In hindsight I was naieve to think that you would pull the number but I for one will be dissapointed if this innovation by UTV fails because of abuse of the 1890 number.

Yes, but what when the 1890 number is also constanly engaged as is frequently the case.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Yes, but what when the 1890 number is also constanly engaged as is frequently the case.
    Could be a sign that the muppetry has already begun.

If UTV pull the rollover service due to abuse: thanks a bunch, guys.

Advertisement