Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTVip Constantly engaged

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can only belive UTV are quite aware of the capacity problem
    that has been created by thier success, so it would be nice if they issued a formal acknowledgment of same.

They have to be careful not to spook the horses...there is the semblence of a genuine market out there now.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Life is full of choices...if your not happy with it (utvip), then cancel your subscription - end of story.

However, in my opinion, anybody who has actually taken the time out to read Scott Tauntons posts at the time of the lauch will be aware of the margins involved - for the money, we ARE getting a good deal. We wont get it any better in terms of price/service for now (not whilst they resell €ircon product).

So once again......

you dont like...then WALK AWAY SLOWLY:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    Life is full of choices...if your not happy with it (utvip), then cancel your subscription - end of story.

However, in my opinion, anybody who has actually taken the time out to read Scott Tauntons posts at the time of the lauch will be aware of the margins involved - for the money, we ARE getting a good deal. We wont get it any better in terms of price/service for now (not whilst they resell €ircon product).

So once again......

you dont like...then WALK AWAY SLOWLY:ninja:

All well and good, but they have a 3 month min contract so you cannot just walk away without penalty.
    It would cost almost €75 to walk away, plus i think there are penalty with the phone service too. So its not that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

UTVip don't give out ther roll-over number because when it is used, THEY pay for the call instead of the user. If the number were made public, can't you just imagine what would happen?

As for the number being constantly engaged, I think that is a bit of an over-generalisation. Having checked my last bill and from experience of the service this week, I think I can say that the number of times when I've ended up using the roll-over number has been in single digits. Oh, and before anyone says that I'm probably never on the net, my usage is well into 3 figures a month in terms of hours online.

It would seem that the engaged number syndrome is confined to certain exchanges. Its entirely possible that the exchange is not able to cope with the demand on the 1893 number. And I don't think that's necessarily the fault of UTV.

I'm standing up for UTV here because my experience of the last few weeks is different from the implication in posts that it is a nationwide problem. I do have other issues with the service - dead spots, errors in transmission, etc, but that's a different story.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lunabu_ie

Well, I'm not unhappy with UTVip and have found their technical support very helpful unlike the hassle I experienced a couple of years ago with IOL's No Limit scheme that was everything but No Limits.....and they pulled the plug by sending out nasty letters to customers telling them they'd overused or abused the No Limits scheme:confused: And after telling you that you were off the scheme, they would keep on sending invoices for services that you hadn't received and threatened you with legal action.
    As long as I get online with UTVip for most of the time, I don't mind. It is, indeed, the best deal we have in this country, although still a joke compared with what people pay in the UK (£15 a month for totally unlimited access?). But we shouldn't grumble too much;)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    All well and good, but they have a 3 month min contract so you cannot just walk away without penalty.
    It would cost almost €75 to walk away, plus i think there are penalty with the phone service too. So its not that easy.

As minimum service contracts go, three months is not bad Mr. Bond. Its unfortunate if your still at the beginning of that three months but nevertheless, that is what you agreed to when you signed up. I'm sure there are others who have posted here recently moaning about UTV that have served out their three months...so give it up folks.

I think its important that a company that makes every effort to provide a combination of value for money & good service should be rewarded. If consumers act in a way that is short-sighted/narrowminded and don't reward genuine attempts to satisfy consumer 'wants & needs', then we will be sending a message to service industry here that they can continue on treating us like the fickle consumers that maybe we are?

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    As minimum service contracts go, three months is not bad Mr. Bond.

As you refuse to accept this reality now you must die Mr Bond!!!:D

Sorry! :ninja:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

It's worth noting at this point that there are other suppliers of flat-rate products that don't have too few ports, and that UTV did not state this shortcoming of the service (at least to me) when I signed up.

The UTV strategy is a strategy, but it's pretty sucky for someone who needs to connect first time, every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I am still intrigued by those people who say that even the overflow number is engaged.

As I said before the FRIACO number is often engaged for me (especially in evening surprisingly enough) but the overflow 1890 number always works first time. Net result is that I can always connect albeit with a slight delay.

What time of the day and what locations are you finding the overflow number doesn't work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Have to say I've had few problems after the inital week when it was a bit poor in fairness. Since then I have had the odd dropped line and I might have to use the dialler twice. That happens once or twice about every 20 connections. Thats about it. never takes more than a minute or two to get connected. Hpe its an isolated problem. You should hassle the support desk.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mad Mike
    I am still intrigued by those people who say that even the overflow number is engaged.

As I said before the FRIACO number is often engaged for me (especially in evening surprisingly enough) but the overflow 1890 number always works first time. Net result is that I can always connect albeit with a slight delay.

What time of the day and what locations are you finding the overflow number doesn't work?

Often around 9-11pm
    It often could take 30mins to get connected. I am in south west laois Rathdowney area 0505 area

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I don't think it's an isolated problem. I'm in county Limerick and experiencing terrible problems with UTVip XL.

I've been waiting patiently for them to sort it out because there's no way I'm going back to either eircom or Esat (got thrown off no-limits) but now I'm loosing faith. Time to look at satellite options I think :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Drella118

Does all this apply only to the UTVXL service or are people talking about the flat rate (the one where you have 150 off peak hours p.m but no on peak) service too?

Because I've been using the flat rate service for a few months now and haven't had any problems at all. Sometimes it disconnects if its been idle for a few minutes and sometimes I might have to try to connect twice, but they're really the only problems. I have an ISDN line and the connection speed generally tends to be reasonably good, although I'm not all that computer literate so I couldn't tell you anything about ping rates or anything like that.

Am I just lucky or am I using a different service to other people here? I used to be on IOL No Limits and had appaling problems with them and eventually refused to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭piet

There where connect problems again.
    Had to use the overflow number again yesterday, funny enough the problem seems to be on wednesdays only!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I am based in Rathfarnham and for the last two weeks I have almost never got through on the 1893 number, perhaps only one time in 10. The dialler has never failed to get me through on the second attempt however so it hasn't inconvenienced me.

I amn't a particularly heavy user - no more than 2 hours a day spread between morning (peak time) and evening but given the cost to UTV of the overflow number I reckon they are making no money off me.

Its happening again.....grrrrrr! The stand-by number is'nt much better, I get dropped after 5 mins....

Mike.

Its still d-e-a-d. On indigo again and NOT happy. Has anyone sent utv this thread? I'm going to do it right now... :mad:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I tend to roll over to the backup number most evenings after six and just did so ten minutes ago or so.

Can't say I've noticed many disconnects on it, though it sometimes does so after exactly an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by sunbeam
    I tend to roll over to the backup number most evenings after six and just did so ten minutes ago or so.

Can't say I've noticed many disconnects on it, though it sometimes does so after exactly an hour.
    I'm always getting the engaged tone and sometimes it takes about half an hour and I never knew there was a backup number. Is there a dialler I can download with this number, if not could you tell me the number please?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by eireboy
    I'm always getting the engaged tone and sometimes it takes about half an hour and I never knew there was a backup number. Is there a dialler I can download with this number, if not could you tell me the number please?

Cheers.
    The link and the number are in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Originally posted by sunbeam

The rollover number is designed to cut out after 2 hours. I usually get an extra 4 seconds :)

I have never had a problem connecting with the rollover number and I connect many times , day and night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Lunabu_ie

Hi, haven't contributed to this discussion in a while. Just wanted to say that I've been getting online ok over the last couple of weeks. When I got the second number here, it didn't make a difference for the first few days, but now I seem to be getting on ok. It may give me an error message once but will then connect without a problem.
    So thanks again for the second number! And I'm still willing to pay for that pint;). I do think it was somehow connected, but since I'm not a techie, I will never know

I have never had a problem connecting with the rollover number and I connect many times , day and night.

Ditto the above.

If people are beginning to encounter problems with the rollover number, that suggests to me that this numbers now beginning to be abused:mad: ..

Should you not screaming to their tech support about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Should you not screaming to their tech support about this?

Why? Can you see any indication on this thread that it is UTV's fault?

Originally posted by Valentia

I'm not getting the point you're making?

Originally posted by Valentia
    Yes, they don't have enough ports.
    Who else could be at fault?

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    Yes, they don't have enough ports.
    Who else could be at fault?

Persons who use the rollover number as their default number.

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Persons who use the rollover number as their default number.
    Well the root cause is the fact that people seem to be having no end of trouble connecting to the 1893 number, can you really blame them for just sticking that other number in as the default number?

• Advertisement

Either the service you are paying for works or it doesn't. It shouldn't be up to users to faff about with different numbers. If their tech support can't get it working. I'd just cancel the order and get a refund. Or am I missing something here?

Advertisement