Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTVip Constantly engaged

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Or am I missing something here?
    I think alot of it is down to the "UTV can do no wrong" attitude many people on boards have (and I'm not trying to troll either).
    If I was having the amount of problems people seem to be having, I'd just move to another ISP as you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    I think alot of it is down to the "UTV can do no wrong" attitude many people on boards have (and I'm not trying to troll either).
    If I was having the amount of problems people seem to be having, I'd just move to another ISP as you said.

I had problems the first week but since then its been pretty much smooth sailing for me. (touch wood) I get the occasional dropped connection and I might have to redial a second time occasionally aswell. Thats as good a dial up as I've ever had, and its saving me a couple of hundred Euro a month. (BTW my line fails Eircoms broadband test) So I think its great. But Similarly if the problems of the first week had continued I'd have been gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Mabye I'm blind or misreading this thread but it seems to me that a very small number of people are having problems. All I can say is that I have had none and that seems to be the general consesus. If people want to call that "UTV can do no wrong" fair enough.

Dropped lines indicate to me a problem closer to home than the ISP.

It never ceases to amaze me how the ISP is always the first to be blamed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

People are getting engaged tones, hence the title of the thread. That is an ISP problem.

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    People are getting engaged tones, hence the title of the thread. That is an ISP problem.

Yes? But the rollover number is there and that works 99% of the time first time.

If you are on isdn than the dialer doesn't work so you have to manually use the rollover number. UTV are aware of this issue with isdn and are actively working on it.

Is the solution to use the rollover number manually I wonder? A bit of an inconvenience agreed but surely only a bit and no more difficult than redialing.

But mabye that's too much hassle

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Valentia
    Yes? But the rollover number is there and that works 99% of the time first time.

If you are on isdn than the dialer doesn't work so you have to manually use the rollover number. UTV are aware of this issue with isdn and are actively working on it.

Is the solution to use the rollover number manually I wonder? A bit of an inconvenience agreed but surely only a bit and no more difficult than redialing.

The Problem is that

1. People have taken it upon themseleves to use the rollover number excuslively and when the standard number is busy there is no access to anyone.

2. UTV has become a victim of its own sucess. It is over subscribed and cant deliver because it doesnt have enough ports to cover every one. Seems like a repeat of the SNL problem is on the cards. 3 to 6 months down the road will a list of the 2000 or so heaviest users be made and them cut off from the service?

my €0.02

when the standard number is busy there is no access to anyone

Then why am I and the vast majority getting through without hassle?

UTV have said if the rollover number is abused, i.e. used as the primary dialup number, those people will be warned against the practice and if necessary booted.

I don't believe the number is being abused as, to repeat myself, most people have no problems logging in.

My 2 €

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well I'm on Indigo again. I tried, manfully, to get through on the regular number then I used the dailer for the alternative and that would'nt connect either!

edit - Just logged off and got back on with UTVip first attempt!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Originally posted by Valentia

I am a former member of the "UTV can do no wrong" club.

I think perhaps it would be interesting to note the locations of the people having problems. I am in Co Wexford nr Enniscorthy.

For weeks and weeks I have had terrible luck getting online. I have ISDN.

I rang the tech line and was told
    1. to download the dialler. (Ok did that. No change.)
    2. to download and install new drivers for my ISDN modem, because perhaps it does not detect the busy signal and rollover to the alternative number.

After much searching, I've not been able to determine if there ARE any new drivers for the lovely little Draytek 128 AND if there are, I'll have to uninstall the existing, and re-install. But before that I have to download MSDUN3.1 (don't I already have that?!) I am not a techie, and it's all overwhelming to me. (I'm still on Windows95...)

And now I read that "UTV are aware of this issue with isdn and are actively working on it " ??!! Why did they put me through all that if it isn't going to help anyway? (I don't like being "blamed" when it might be their problem)

If, after 10 or 20 tries (it usually takes 50 or more), I am unable to access thru the normal number, I'll manually dial the alternative number. (I'm only just after finding this thread.) I do not think that is abuse.

I will say, that in the last couple of days, I have had less trouble connecting, and reconnecting. So maybe an improvement has occurred?

I still think UTV is the best thing going, but I am disappointed in the fact that they no longer answer e-mails to support, and they get a bit tetchy on the helpline. We are usually frustrated by the time we ring them, so we might not be at our most congenial (but then we aren't being paid to be on the phone with them).

But at least they HAVE a tech line and it does not cost 74c per minute to use it!!!!!

So I have no plans to leave or to discourage anyone from signing on with them. But I'll also let them know when I think they are slipping ;)

Ban

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Sounds like something like what happened when IOL were bought out by EsatClear. Esatclear had a great service until literally the day IOL was bought out. The service virtually deteriorated overnight as huge numbers of subscribers were heaped onto the same bandwidth. I ended up cancelling my account. (Even that took about 6 months during which they continued to charge my credit card).

I had the same experience with iol back in the old days around 1994-5, when it was also heavily oversubscribed (I estimated at the time I was paying at £10 a month plus VAT for reconnections).

I'm with Eircom 25 now (too busy to surf heavily, and broadband is just too expensive) and find it ok. I was tempted by netsmart but I will never, ever, ever buy ANY service fom IOL or any company related to it ever again and I would be very sceptical of their service even now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

When did UTVip stop responding to email queries. I mailed them last week about accessing my webspace and they got back to me in about 24 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

As posted by myself previously I had a lot of problems dialling into UTV a few weeks back. I rang tech support (about 4 times) and eventually got it sorted.

Firstly - Make sure you are using their dialler software. As you know if the first number is engaged it will ring alternate numbers.

If anyone is dialling in but gets an error when the software verifies username and password let me know. I had to add in an init string to force my modem to use V91 mode (I think). There was also another option I had to click in my dialling properties. If anyone needs this info let me know and I'll post it.

Since I resolved these problems I can always dial into UTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

hey daveg - im having that error about the login thing... how did u fix it?? cant get on at all..... using eircom at the mo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭piet

Did utv update the dialler version?
    Afaik you can not check this on their site, and the one I have since july is version 2.

Originally posted by skywalker_208
    hey daveg - im having that error about the login thing... how did u fix it?? cant get on at all..... using eircom at the mo...

Will post it up when I get home.

that would be great thanks! still on eircom now :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    When did UTVip stop responding to email queries. I mailed them last week about accessing my webspace and they got back to me in about 24 hrs.

They got back to me as well on this issue (but it took rather longer) What did they say? Well not too much, a "head-scratching
    we dont know whats up" response really....

Mike.

2 things I have done to help connect. Firstly use the following as an init string at+ms=v90,0

This forces the modem to use V90 mode. Go to cotrol panal/phone and modem properties/advanced (for XP).

Also ensure "enable hardware flow control" is ticked (network connections/utvip connection properties/modem configurations) (for XP).

Hope this helps. If not google the error you get (721 for me). You may find help.

It would take me 20-30 dials to connect before I set this up. Now I connect first time everytime.

well ive tried everything and still cant connect... i did the V90 mode then in the modem settings and the modem couldnt be detected at all... have mailed utvip and am waiting for a reply...

beginning to be a pain in the arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

It's getting worse I think becoz now my utv dialler software don't even dial the other number when the primary number is engaged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I think its time for UTV to come clean and admit that they are over subscribed.

Originally posted by skywalker_208
    well ive tried everything and still cant connect... i did the V90 mode then in the modem settings and the modem couldnt be detected at all... have mailed utvip and am waiting for a reply...

beginning to be a pain in the arse!

Ring tech support and ask for Charles. He seems to know his stuff.

when u try to log on to utv and it verifys the username and password... where is it looking for this username/password..

is it the ones you have entered into the settings of the dialer thing? or is it what you have registered with on the site?

They should both be the same!

Advertisement