Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford - Broadband?

Options
  • 10-09-2003 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Just curious - is there DSL or any other form of Broadband in Waterford city?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Is it a happy hunting ground Chaz ? Is that the real question? Get your application for 3.5Ghz in by friday my man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Its a real question - and its for me on a private level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

DSL is there

search for posts , user Shinzon, keyword Waterford . Shin has posted a lot on what and where is working.

M

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Hey Chaz

yep DSL is here

2 main exchanges

Waterford Main
    Tycor (just recently upgraded)

You can get all DSL products from these exchanges, the Tycor exchange is also one of the 40 exchanges enabled by esat for there business package, of course getting these is dependant on your line passing, if your in the viewmount, dunmore road area forget it, coppers ****e out here and eircom wont do anything about it (right rant over with)

Another alternative is the local wireless access group www.irishwan.org and just click on the forums link and then waterford, cybermart here in town is sharing a one Mbit DSL line with a couple of users in the town at the moment, pop in there to get more info.

Anyhoo good luck with it and if ye get it let us know

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I heard that the Dumore Road was being dug up at the moment to put in "Broadband"!

Don't know what that means with regards anyplace out that way being enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

Waterford Central and Waterford Tycor are both DSL enabled by both Eircom and Esat (for both res and bus packages)

that could be to do with the metropoiltan area network project, the fibre ring thats going around waterford to faciltate broadband, I could be wrong but I believe muck said in a thread here somewhere that you still need to use the phone copper wiring to connect to it when its up and running

Shin

Why dont they use wireless and do SDH type ring? Faster to deploy - prolly cheaper etc.

Originally posted by Chaz
    Why dont they use wireless and do SDH type ring? Faster to deploy - prolly cheaper etc.

the man project was already in the pipeline, so we were getting it regardless of other types of technologies, having a fibre ring around the city is a good thing, allows people who otherwise wouldnt even have a chance for broadband to get it

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by shinzon
    cybermart here in town is sharing a one Mbit DSL line....

For free you say?
    but didn't they use to charge for that kinda net access at there LAN's even if you bring your own machine?
    So why the change of heart?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Hey Chaz

yep DSL is here

2 main exchanges

Waterford Main
    Tycor (just recently upgraded)

You can get all DSL products from these exchanges, the Tycor exchange is also one of the 40 exchanges enabled by esat for there business package, of course getting these is dependant on your line passing, if your in the viewmount, dunmore road area forget it, coppers ****e out here and eircom wont do anything about it (right rant over with)

I think that Eircom/Esat may be trying to cherrypick business accounts first. The idea being that the average business may go for the €175 a month sub and be active mainly during business hours.

It is fairly harsh but that seems to be the case with all new technologies. The copper in some areas of Viewmount may be OK. Interestingly of the lines checked here (ISDN/ 2 PSTN), one PSTN line failed. I am currently waiting for an Esat ADSL installation.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is it only Eircom - can you get DLS from UTV/NEtsource over eircom lines in waterford ?

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Is it only Eircom - can you get DLS from UTV/NEtsource over eircom lines in waterford ?

I am not sure. As far as I remember, the main players in Waterford are Esat and Eircom. By extension IOL should be active here. Netsource was primarily a Dublin operation but seems to be spreading. UTV may be the best bet. My interest is in the business ADSL rather than the consumer side of things.

Eircom had a roadshow for business users a few weeks ago in the Tower hotel. It was the usual roadshow aimed at business users. There are some threads here about Netsource that would make me think twice but it seems like they are targeting the troughers who just waste the bandwidth.

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by jmcc
    I think that Eircom/Esat may be trying to cherrypick business accounts first.

Business Esat 512K (upping to 2MB soon) running away very nicely indeed down in Poleberry area.... :D

Wouldn't waste time on residential DSL for the time being

Originally posted by Cabaal
    For free you say?
    but didn't they use to charge for that kinda net access at there LAN's even if you bring your own machine?
    So why the change of heart?

As in all things it aint free, should have phrased that better lol

Shin

Originally posted by jmcc
    I am currently waiting for an Esat ADSL installation.

Looks like ADSL installation is on for Monday morning. :) The cable on the front row may be a little newer than some of the other cable though. It will be interesting to see just how good ADSL is.

Regards...jmcc

As in all things it aint free, should have phrased that better lol

I guessed as much, well I'd imagine he's making a good bit of money off of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Cybermart has 2 1Mbit adsl connections - 1 from esat and 1 from eircom. They're going to share that for something like €20 or €30 a month. A backbone to link the nodes is currently underway. The node on Tonys hill near Dunmore East (which has los to a good bit of the city) should soon be linked to TSSG (or the ferrybank node, maybe even both), and at present the node is only linked into my Wexford network with 2 people using it for internet. Once the nodes are linked, it will be possible for members to choose who to get their internet off via (preferably) vpn gateways, or proxies, so if your friend either down the road, or on the other side of the city (or even as far away as wexford town) gets in adsl he/she can share it, to anyone on the network (obviously with access controls, i.e. user/pass on the vpn connection). Once Cybermart is linked in, it should be fairly good for the gaming, people on the network being able to play games with people at cybermart, etc. :)

Originally posted by bkehoe
    They're going to share that for something like €20 or €30 a month. A backbone to link the nodes is currently underway.

Sounds interesting. I must dust off plans for that local ISP I made over ten years ago.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
Advertisement