Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 9850T Freeview Receiver

• 10-09-2003 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi

I would like to hear from somebody that knows this system the Nokia 9850T.

I am looking for a digital receiver to use it with the dish and LNB that I got from lidl (yes, that system..) and I have been checking in ebay for receivers.

I have noticed this Freeview thing on ebay, there are lots of receivers that include this, any ideas what this is?

I want to use this receiver to get the digital FTA channels and some spanishs channels too (see my post about EITB)

I appreciate your help.

Cheers
    gaizka

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Different technologies, I'm afraid.

Freeview = Digital Terrestrial, and wont work as an FTA receiever of Digital Satellite channels.

Moved to Terrestrial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

T = DVBt = DTT = Digital Terrestrial = Freeview in UK: Uses an Aerial. All free to Air in UK. Can be received some places in Ireland.

C = DVBc = Digital Cable = Some NTL and Chorus cable TV areas. Pay TV ONLY.

S = DVBst = DSat = Digital Satellite = Sky: Uses a Dish. There are other providers for Pay TV than Sky. Some channels are FTV = Free to View (Needs a "free" card) some FTA (Free to Air) or some Pay TV or even PPV (pay per view or event). UK FTV system has collapsed so no cards can be got, but old cards still work and a cancelled UK sub type2 card works. Other countries have FTV like systems too (Netherlands, Switzerland). But not Ireland.

Digital MMDS: Like Digital cable, but using MMDS dish and same band.

All these need different connections and different receivers.

A not-Sky Satellite receiver can get all the FTA channels on Sky inc all BBC, but doesn't work even Free Interactive as this uses proprietary Sky SW.

Unlike Cable a "Freeview box" (DTT) or Digibox (Sky) or FTA reciever (Satellite with no viewing card) all belong to viewer from day 1, no matter if a subscription or cheap install is got. ALL non-cable boxes may legally be used to receive ANY channel from anywhere that works without a viewing card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Watty, is there any wonder why such posts like this keep coming up (and will come again) when some dealers in the Republic keep advertising FTA satellite reception of the BBC services on Astra 2 as "Freeview"?

Confusion = Apathy

Advertisement