Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choice of programming languages

Options
  • 10-09-2003 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Ok guys, I am student and I've been assigned quite an ambitious project.

I realise that I will probably have to learn at least one new programming language in order to complete the project.

I just need advice on what language I should learn.

The first half of the project involves the PC communicating with the serial ports, interfacing with hardware, and a bluetooth link, so I thought either VB or C (I have some experience with C).

The second half of the project is basically a database server. It recieves requests over a WIFI or Bluetooth link and data can be retrieved or updated. The type of data to be held is basically text, but possibly media files also.

So can anyone give me advice on what would be the most suitable languages to use, given that the first part and second part of the project have to communicate with each other..

Thanks in advance,

King :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Java would be great for interacting with bluetooth and the like. http://java.sun.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

ya , Ive some experience with java, but how is it with the serial port, is it as easy to set up as VB's MSCOMM??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Never messed with the serial port in any language. Ask Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've no experience working with WIFI or Bluetooth but I'd imagine doing this in VB then you'd just use ADO for you database work. Then again you could just use JDBC in Java.

Seeing as you know Java I'd recommend going with that.

<additional/>
    A quick google has revealed the Java Communications API for Windows, which will help you with your serial port communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

For a uni project, I'd be inclined not to bother with a non-event-driven language for this (i.e. ruling out C).

That leaves three main contenders of VB, Java, and C#, I would be inclined to say (although I'm sure Perl, PHP, etc. etc. etc. could all do the trick too).

I'd go with whichever of these you feel most comfortable with.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well if it is any help I am using VB to talk to a com port using an RS232 connection to control a robot in a machine.
    It works fine and also the results have to be added to the DB for reporting etc.

Never used C or JAVA to do anything like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

The thing is the first part of the project requires interfacing with the hardware and I think VB's mscomm is ideal.It then has to take the data aquired and pass it over wireless link to a database.

The wireless link could be either bluetooth or WIFI, which can both be connected thru the serial port (afaik?), again pointing to using VB??

The second part of the project is a PC connected by bluetooth or WIFI, which holds the database. I dont know what type of database I should use or how to set it up??

I don't want someone to do the project for me, just point me in the right direction.I.e I dont want to spend time learning a language, when it turns out the project could be completed a lot easier in another manner.....

Thanks for all the advice, :)

King

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If I've got this right then you want to query the hardware attached to the pc through the serial port. The Mscomm control in Vb is good for this correct, and it sounds like you already have a good idea what's involved.

As for the bluetooth/wifi connection. Surely Windows will manage the connection for you and you won't have to code the networky stuff involved, just connect to the Database through ODBC/ADO. Or is there some special protocol for bluetooth?

If my assumptions are correct then VB would be ideal. If I'm wrong and there is more to the wireless connection let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Evil Phil
    As for the bluetooth/wifi connection. Surely Windows will manage the connection for you and you won't have to code the networky stuff involved, just connect to the Database through ODBC/ADO. Or is there some special protocol for bluetooth?

I was wondering that too.

If you have to do the Bluetooth stuff yourself (i.e. establish a connection with other pc, etc. etc. etc.) then a quick google for "VB bluetooth" should prove enlightening....

jc

Advertisement