Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dial up connection

Options
  • 10-09-2003 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

I've a computer running NT and has an external modem.
    Until a few days ago all was working well.

Now when I try to dial up I get as far as "Verifying Username and password". Then I get "unable to establish connection".

I tried a couple of different dial up accounts but the same happens.

Am I right in saying that the fact that I get to the verifying username and password part means that the phone line / modem is working correctly?

the system is virus free too.

Can anyone give me some suggestions as to whats wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds like your username or password are wrong. Have you or your ISP changed anything recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Yea, clear the password and make sure the connection is set to "accept any authentication including clear text" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

Definitely sounds like a username/password issue. Have you tried creating a new dial-up connection with your username and password? Modem is fine if it can dial out and at least connect to the server to check your logon credentials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Can someone confirm for me that the dial up details for Oceanfree as follows:

phone : 1890923204

user : oceanfree
    pass: oceanfree

It was using iolfree and the phone number for that did change so even though I was told that they changed the phone number I'm not fully convinced ( it's my aunts computer).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i always use a capital O for the passwords

but try and uninstall the modem then reinstalling it . may work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Connect through Dial Up Networking and post up the error number, or else check it on www.modemhelp.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Originally posted by elexes
    i always use a capital O for the passwords

but try and uninstall the modem then reinstalling it . may work

Sorry I meant to reply last week, but yup that's what the problem was.

I was kicking myself severly after that :)

Advertisement