Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too busy worshiping id to bring them to task.

Options
  • 18-05-1999 10:26am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I said it a long time ago but JC is quoted as saying years ago that id would always remain inherrently Shareware. The original idea with their games were were that the first game would be completely shareware and the sequel would be a money spinner.
    i.e. Doom - 1 full episode, register for the remainder
    Doom II - fully commercial product.
    Quake - 1 full episode, register for the remainder.

Get the picture smile.gif Yeah well alls changed there hasn't it. Now I can understand that Quake II was the fully commercial product but through it's development up to now I think id have become the fully commercial company.
    Q3est is the latest in a paltry offering of two levels and you've got to admire them, they've got all of us eating out of their hands and we just lap it up.
    I often wonder why nobody has ever brought them to task on their unspoken changeover but many would argue that they've earned it and earned it they have, they've got the Ferari's to proove it and while it was admirable sticking to the shareware ethic in their early days it's surely easier, and considering their Status, and bloody necessary that they stick to it now.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

hmm, somone didn`t read carmacks .plan updates..

this isn`t q3demo, its q3 test!!!, q3 demo will be out after they have released a few versions of the test
    they lan to have more maps, and even some bots out there like...

you can`t say that this game sucks either, even with 2 maps there are loads playing it like. Once they release more maps it`ll get better, but its just like q2, only q2dm1 was played really on the war server, and there are loadsa other maps for that like...

its only a test only a test...

Ro.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I wasn't complaining about the game itself. Just bear in mind you'll never see an 8 level shareware demo ever again.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

As ronin said - they are going to continue releasing functionality patches for the test until it becomes the shareware demo.

The next patch has some teamplay stuf and the one after that will include a bot or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

yes but muso, look at it this way, did tribes have a demo? nope it came over on warez, which was where most irish players snaged a copy at the start,

as for sharware demo's, yea we`ll never see them again, but q3 , with bots will be your shareware demo...so to speak...

the fps vien is getten spread thin, but q3 has brought q1ers and q2ers onto the same server, so quake is around for a while yet I do believe. Its just the next installment, they are always trying to improve it....

it`ll be interesting to see what way online gaming goes in the next few years..vr anyone? smile.gif..

Ro.

Advertisement