Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Forum - [WAR]

Options
  • 10-09-2003 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

OK, all together now - "...WAR! huh! What is it good for..."

Where politics breaksdown and there is nowhere else to go - war happens.

I propose that a new forum be put in place which would be subsequent to the 'Politics' forum. Here people would have have a chance to discuss the conflicts of the day and of the past and the possible bust-ups of the future.
    Over the last year or so we've had our fair share of war and too many times it has been trashed out in the Politics forum.

So let give the war mongers and the peace niks an area in which to debate WAR.

P.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

My first thought was wtf but after reading the post it might have it purpose.

Need more info though before I agree.

/me in doubt

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

hehe, he needs more info !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Give the man "more info" so he can decide whether you're worthy or not.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by Runfree
    My first thought was wtf but after reading the post it might have it purpose.

Need more info though before I agree.

/me in doubt
    Lol. Really? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Have a look in the 'Politics' forum and you'll see 3 or 4 posts about war or mostly about war or conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

But Logic no-one can be more worthy than you.

/me Hails to Logic

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by PH01
    Have a look in the 'Politics' forum and you'll see 3 or 4 posts about war or mostly about war or conflict.

Don't most wars stem from political issues and have political reprecussions?

Seems like Politics is the place for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

AHEM?!

But seeing as you despise us all over in H/H and wish searing cancer upon our lions* with your refusal to pop round our way, Bonkey and the bai's over at Politics never seemed to object to the ould war thread or two.

Now to head off and demand a Peace forum...

*May be an exaggeration. MAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Most, if not all wars, are politically motivated. Politicans, or those assuming that position, will make the decisions which will lead to the start or ending of a war.

IMO the politics forum is the right place for this. It would be a sadder place without it ;).

And RunFree take your head out of Logic1's posterier. Seems like you should go back to digging a hole as opposed to filling it!

(Hope I get your agreement on that!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I think the politics and history boards cater well enough for war discussions already. There's no point having lots of ultra-specific forums. I mean, where would it end? History of war, war strategy, war of the future, fictional war, Irish wars, European wars etc etc!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by simu
    I think the politics and history boards cater well enough for war discussions already. There's no point having lots of ultra-specific forums. I mean, where would it end? History of war, war strategy, war of the future, fictional war, Irish wars, European wars etc etc!

That's an excellent suggestion simu! Let's hear further thoughts on this!

psyche...

I was about to say H/H and politics cover it, but it's already been said and I wouldn't want to repeat people :rolleyes:

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    Don't most wars stem from political issues and have political reprecussions?

Seems like Politics is the place for it.

Yeah I guess so. But sometimes war goes beyond the political reprecussions. Take the Isreali V Arab bust up going on at the moment - can anyone tell me where a politian can get a look in here? Unless they're touting for more soldiers for the front. War of attrition kinda stuff - reminds me of WWI.

Also, there are a few posts in the politics forum like "Operation Palistinian Freedom" which hardly have a whiff of politics. All you hear is the war drum!

But, yeah, I guess yer right. The politics forum would be pretty boring without the odd war post. And H/H - must give that a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Hobart
    Most, if not all wars, are politically motivated.
    Yes, but some are caused by soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

An "entertaining Flame Wars" forum would be good instead of Mods closing the threads.

Only problem is some posters would have most of their posts moved in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Victor
    Yes, but some are caused by soccer.
    I remember reading about that one when I was 10 or so. Takes all sorts really doesn't it.

(incidentally El Salvador beat Honduras in the playoffs and qualified for the World Cup where they got beaten in all three games and didn't score a single goal)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Imposter
    An "entertaining Flame Wars" forum would be good instead of Mods closing the threads.
    No you can't do that, because you need some gullibles to come in and get all indignant, etc. Calling it the "Entertaining Flame Wars" forum would defeat the purpose.

I kinda like the idea of the 'Flame War' forum.
    It would be like what you would say "...get a room..." to two young wans making out on the street, you will be able to say to two characters in any fora who are getting 'excited' to "...go to the flame war room...".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Motion for war denied (by Cloud anyway, let the rest of the admins have a shot at it).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I kinda like the idea of the 'Flame War' forum. ". [/B]

We used to have an equivalent in the early days of CONFERENCE on the UL VAX. OK - early for me - more like the "dying days of the VAX" in reality. Anyway....stupendous idea - produced some of the best quality writing I've seen in years, PISSOG did.

Damn I feel old.

Unfortunately, unless it was made some sort of "opt-in" forum, it would probably conflict with the notion of some rules being there to protect boards from public liabilty stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

CONFERENCE, eh? We used to use something called BULLETIN.

$ EOJ

• Advertisement
Advertisement