Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the last days of quake?

Options
  • 17-05-1999 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

just want to know where u all stand on this.

Quake isnt dying by any means, but its not going anywhere either, its stagnating. And stagnation is the first step in decline and death (ok sorta contradicting meself there wink.gif..Quake3 is all well and good, it looks great and plays better...but it doesnt add anything new. I strongly believe that Q3A will be the last we'll see of Quake..and i think ID knows it too.

After seeing the likes of tribes2, daikatana etc..it looks like id's next game will have to add somthing really new to the traditional "kill stuff" idea, and u can bet ur life it wont be anything like Quake, which is really beginning to show its age at this stage, 3 years on.

So where do we go from here? (as far as q1/2 and 3 goes)

Cardinal Fang, fetch...the comfy chair!
    clans.quake2.co.uk/hiv
    www.planet-tribes.com/em

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Tribes is a good game, but, theres always a but, its missing something, the fact that you need a team, or to be a team player , to play it

like can you play duel tribes?? smile.gif...

heh

as long as theres quake and it has some sort of single-player feature and you can play with only 2 people rather then an army it`ll be played more then something where you need an army to play one game.

so id could make a new game, and once it has a rail and an rocket launcher all q/q2/q3 heads will play it smile.gif..oh and a lighting gun too wink.gif...

Ro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Ronin:
    Yes you can duel in Tribes. In a ctf game for example, both teams has the enemy's flag and the game's not going anyway, the 2 flag carriers can opt to duel it out while everyone heads back to base. I've seen lots of dueling between exellent players in the games. It's dueling with a purpose like to gain control of a key structure. To win for the team is the aim of the game but you don't need a team to play. A lot of people just join servers and play pick up games. Try it out before you comment on the game!!

You gonna to finish that?
    *munch*munch*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭KinDreD

Too much ****ing about in tribes...quake ya just jump straight in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

I'd say now, to be honest, that iD are a pack of ****ers. I'd say they **** all the time.

I'd also say now that Tribes would be utterly fidgety and ****-arsed to play. I haven't played it but I feel completely confident commenting on it 'cos I just KNOW that it's an itchy, tight-lipped game. I'd say I'd like it... but anything that's not QUAKE is not PLAYABLE 'cos it just doesn't have the same support.

iD have the control of multiplayer games to come. No-one else seems capable of making a game to compete. Pathetic.

I dunno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Creeper

I agree....FPS games get a bit repetitive after a while, which is why the likes of Tribes etc try to offer new elements. For me the best thing about Tribes is the vehicles. It's just so cool buzzing about in a Scout shooting muppets on the ground. And the strategy element, the overview map and all that.

I have demo of a game called Battlezone (it's been out for a few months now) and it completely rules!! You can go around on foot (only if you're a fool or you have ejected), or in big dirty hover tanks. And it has a cool strategy element too. You build scavengers that scut about and gather minerals, and use the minerals to build stuff like turrets etc. And it even has Russkies in it! Woohoo! Was tryin to find this game in town the other weekend but I couldn't. Tears!
    Anyone heard anything about it?? I'd say it'd be cool multiplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

there is a DM section to tribes.

I dont like it, and none of the irish or uk players play it much but the US guys love it.

How can you comment on a game you have not played it. Shut up you waffler. To say it is fidgety is ****e talk because the default keys in tribes are the same keys as dynamix saw most quake players using (mainly death row from the US)

The Vaggabond of the Western World
    Electric Mayhem
    www.planet-tribes.com/em
    www.tribesplayers.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Yep, I've played it and its pretty good. If your looking for it try HMV and compustore, they're not the cheapest, but keep nice old stock at full price :/

I must say I agree with you about Tribes the vehicles are great, I love scouts and lpc's.

Maybe someone should do some custom vehicles for the servers, I know noggie was working on stuff at one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

yep I have played it, but I tend to not go in for team type games, I`m more of a stick to meself lad then jumping onto a team, although I do play well in team games, but most people who have an rl and can use it and a good team play well like smile.gif....

tribes is an ok game, just not one I`d play over quake, I`d play q2 b4 I`d play tribes...

Ro.

ps its nice to see that we can still have a q1vq2 war, where now its qers vs tribers smile.gif..hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

nah u still dont get it smile.gif

this isnt about Tribes vs Quake, its about whether Quake is getting a bit tired at this stage...and where can id go next?

Cardinal Fang, fetch...the comfy chair!
    clans.quake2.co.uk/hiv
    www.planet-tribes.com/em

Advertisement