Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a hub?

• 10-09-2003 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

I am starting a project which involves me making a hub. I have all the relivant materials (i think) including, a soldering pen, cat5, rj-45 male and felmale, and bread board.

I have a hub at home, but i know if i take it appart i will start messing about with it and thus forth breaking it!

Would anyone here have a wiring diagram and layout of where the wires from the female socet are to be linked to the board? i need to get as much informatrion as possible!

I will spare no expence in reserch for the componants, but im not going to buy another hub!

Any info on this topic would be great lads, just keep to the topic ;)

Cheers

reD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

try this website, not sure if you find what you want though

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Have a look at this google link for various sites http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=hub+WIRING+DIAGRAM++

this one here is a very good link http://www.resconsys.com/docs/8AH485%20WD.PDF

hope it helps:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Red, it's not that simple.

How many ports you need?

You can pick up a ahceap 100Mbit switchfor penies nowadays.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

10 Mb BNC co ax - no hub just RG58 cable and 50ohm terminators
    very good collision detection algorithms

10Mb AUI - this can be done as a 4 wire system (two transmit - two receive) - the NIC's can handle packets - very good if trying to wire in exotic carrier media (eg laser pens :) or 10GHz microwave transmitters)

10Mb uses transformers to isolate other end of link - recieve is also linked into transmit for echo cancellation - ie. messy

100Mb and higher - signals are voltage modulated - and very complex algorithm (trellis code ?) so not a DIY project

1000Mb different again

10000Mb exists ...

So unless you are doing something very exotic there is no point in re-inventing the wheel especially when an off the shelf unit is cheaper and more reliable.

==================================

In order of processing power and bandwidth utilisation
    Hub < Switch < managed switch < Router < Firewall

If you are in Dublin I can sell you a 12 port 3Com 10Mb Switch 19" rack mount - factory seal for €30 - it also has a 100Mb uplink and can be managed remotely - it can block all IPX traffic - replicate traffic sent to one port to another - can do vlan , where ports can be hidden from each other - can set a particular port to only work with one particular network card - can see stats on numbers of packets - lists of all Network cards ever seen etc.

How far will €30 of components get you ?

==========================================

You could look at making a little device with an RJ45 connector that can be plugged in to a cable to see if there is a signal present (might get 4V off RJ45 - but not steady and 100ohm is what the driver expects to see - check on the 802 site.)

Or look at building a linux router - check the source code for how to decode packets..

But the days of networking by amplifing and retransmitting a signal are gone - unless you are building an exotic long distance link.

Advertisement