Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chasing the postman!

• 10-09-2003 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I have a 4 yo mutt, (a pointer cross...not sure what he is crossed with) who is very friendly and well behaved......except for the postman. Over the past 3 months he has begun chasing the postman, nobody else gets this treatment...he will bark at the coalman from the safety of his kennel and anybody else calling to the house is warmly greeted. I think it may be because postie calls to the door but never goes in! Has anybody any ideas to explain this behaviour and any ideas how to stop it? The postman is quite good about it, even laughed when told he was the only one to get that treatment, but I have to keep the dog on a long lead in the garden these days as chasing somebody is simply not acceptable. Restricting him does not make me happy and I would love to resolve the problem. Putting up a gate is not an option as he will simply jump it but I am considering putting a letter box on the driveway pillar.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My sister has a similar problem. It's basicly down to "stangers" not beign allowed in the house, so thet are to be barked at! TRy inviting the postman into the hall a few times and see what the reaction is - I presume the coalman goes further into the property than the postman and this may be why he is more accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 roadhog

Yeah, I think the same myself. I'll give it a go, the postman is friendly enough so I'll have a chat with him and see if he'll try getting to know the dog. We still have builders on the estate and the dog gets on with them like a house on fire, mind you I think he may be nicking their lunches! Tin foil remains keep appearing in the garden :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Victor's got it in one. If it's a problem for the postman I'd try bringing him in the front door and out the back every once in a while. Or something similar and less nutty. Anything that'll let the dog know that he's a trusted visitor like the coalman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The postman does every dogs head in.

Doggy tries to be the big brave feller, barking and making the postie go away.

And yet, day after day, along comes the postman.
    Messing with the letter box and generally not getting the message.

My dads a postman. Hes been bitten about a dozen times in his 20 odd years in the job. Theres a dog on his round thats arthritic and blind in one eye. This dog is 16 or something and can barely move.

But the minute he hears that diesel van pulling up outside the farm..... he goes beserk. Tries to take the hand off my dad. Pulls at his mailbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Should dogs be loose ever unattended?

I have lost count of near misses with dogs wandering street outside their house.

A pedestrian or driver etc could get killed if someone swerves to aviod dog.

It is very hazardus on Pushbike and motor bike. It isn't being kind ot dog or others, just selfish.

Our dog chased the Milkman and once even got run down by the milklorry and had a pin and plaster etc. Ever after if she thought you cross she would limp (sometimes on the wrong leg).

The funny bit is the milkman lived next door and when he did his run and sat down with a mug of tea "Lisa" the fierce Milkman killing Dacshound would be curled up on his knee!

She is long gone now... maybe 30 years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement