Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Death in Vegas any good??

Options
  • 10-09-2003 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

I saw/payed attention to them for the first time at trinity ball a few months back and they blew me away!

but everyone ive talked to, my mates into the same music as me (below), said theyre electro and crap! But when i saw them they were very cool, guitar based and had such a groove!

whats the deal with them??

Im into Snow Patrol White Stripes Frames Stone Roses

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Are they good? Yes, yes they are.

But honestly:
    everyone ive talked to, my mates into the same music as me, said theyre electro and crap!

Are you looking for their permission or something?
    Just listen to what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Originally posted by AngelWhore

Are you looking for their permission or something?

yes im looking for permission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Go ahead buy The Contino Sessions. You'll listen to it to death for a week and then never ever take it back off the shelf... theres the odd slightly original song on it but thats about it, mostly Primal Scream rip-offs (including the appearance of Bobby Gillespie)... never bothered listening to their latest, Scorpio Rising, so can't comment on that.

But as AW said go judge yourself, don't take mine or anyone elses opinions.. especially not AWs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

only good song ive heard of thiers is Aisha, which is an excellent track. but ive only heard about 5 or 6 so maybe theyre just the bad ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Originally posted by ShriekingSheet
    I saw/payed attention to them for the first time at trinity ball a few months back and they blew me away!

but everyone ive talked to, my mates into the same music as me (below), said theyre electro and crap! But when i saw them they were very cool, guitar based and had such a groove!

So what's your problem then??? You've seen them live, you think they're brilliant but yet you don't know if they're any good?!?!?

Me thinks that you might be a wee bit confused mate!!

"I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not too sure" :rolleyes:

B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by ShriekingSheet
    yes im looking for permission

Well in that case, you have mine.
    Originally posted by Kali
    Go ahead buy The Contino Sessions. You'll listen to it to death for a week and then never ever take it back off the shelf... theres the odd slightly original song on it but thats about it, mostly Primal Scream rip-offs (including the appearance of Bobby Gillespie)... never bothered listening to their latest, Scorpio Rising, so can't comment on that.

But as AW said go judge yourself, don't take mine or anyone elses opinions.. especially not AWs :)

But are you not just saying to take my opinion on this, then saying not to? What is this horrid confusion you are going through, Kali?

Anyway, Primal Scream are also cool.
    But I'd far rather go for Portishead, as cliche'd as they are, they're brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

D.I.V. are a load of crap. I've heard Dead Elvis / Contino Sessions (and) / Scorpio Rising and they are definetly a 'singles' band ie nothing with any substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    What is this horrid confusion you are going through, Kali?

ahh thats just day to day reality. never mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

Death in Vegas are a class act.

Dead Elvis - excellent album.

Contino Sessions - just as good.

Scorpio Rising - couple of dodgy tunes but overall very good.

No substance to Death in Vegas? You need your head checked and your ears cleaned out.

Fearless is the dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Get your hands on Dead Elvis (preferably the one with the cover of The Beat's Twist and Crawl, which for some reason got taken off the album at one point) and get Scorpio Rising.

Personally I'd give the Contino Sessions a wide berth... it's a bit too "We're a dance band who can also do rock" i.e. pointless. Especially that dirge Aisha with Iggy Pop.

Saw DIV at Reading and they were very good, though they had to have an enormous flat screen with images to distract from the fact none of their tunes had vocals (as all their tracks use rock celebs for vox)

• Advertisement
Advertisement