Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intels 800MHz FSB and DDR RAM

• 10-09-2003 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

Right DDR RAM has always confused me.

Im looking at getting a P4 with a 800MHz FSB but does PC3200 run at the speed of the FSB or half it. Im under the impression that it only runs at 400MHz.:confused:

Is there RAM available that will run at the speed of the FSB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

afaik the highest is ddr500 ram but it is really expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Whats the point in having a FSB with that speed if there is no ram that will be taking advantage of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

PC3200 (or also known as DDR400) is the ram to use with a P4 "C" type processor, which is 800Mhz (200Mhz quad pumped) .... if you want to overclock however you may want to get DDR433 or 466 or if you have several hundred euros burning a hole in your pocket you could get DDR500....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

For DDR500 , how about Geil 2x256mb for €206 and free delivery?? Here . Theyre also very cheap in general for memory & good products.

If your not overclocking, Pc3200 is fine.

Hmmm, that RAM looks nice but i have ordered this for €179 :/
    Is this a good choice? I was thinking of overclocking but.....not straight away.

Tell me more about that Quad pumping thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

gobeyondltd.com and pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk are the same company as far as I know ... as for the ram, it looks good enough, should do the job nicely ... I bought mushkin ram off them and it works a treat ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the 865 and 875 chipsets use dual channel memory, so that the pc3200 ram matches the 800mhz bus perfectly

pc3200 is the fastest official spec out there right now. All the pc3500/4000 is just ram thats guaranteed to run at overclocked speeds.

Originally posted by BigEejit
    gobeyondltd.com and pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk are the same company as far as I know ... as for the ram, it looks good enough, should do the job nicely ... I bought mushkin ram off them and it works a treat ...

Im actually buying it off of www.shop4memory.com The Spec link linked me to that page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Caffine

Originally posted by astrofool
    the 865 and 875 chipsets use dual channel memory, so that the pc3200 ram matches the 800mhz bus perfectly

pc3200 is the fastest official spec out there right now. All the pc3500/4000 is just ram thats guaranteed to run at overclocked speeds.

exactly :)

Advertisement