Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to launch a special in October

Options
  • 10-09-2003 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I heard from the grape vine that eircom will announce a new offering next month.

It will basically be the starter package with NO install fee and a FREE modem, all keenly priced for 39.99 euro per month INC VAT.

From my correspondance this is the magic figure (35 ex vat) that eircom are trying to achieve.

On a slightly similar note, the Enhanced package is rumoured to go 2mbit/s in the coming months to give value for money and a clearer difference from the starter package. The pricing I'm not sure about, but I suspect it may actually stay the same.

Good news for once, sort of :)

Paul

p.s. Eircom corperate sales are pushing for 20 euro/month for the wholesale price apparently!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Ohhhhhhh, thats a bit fancy. Will have to get my line checked again and hope i pass now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

erm would this special just be for the month of october or will it last way on to the hills (fat chance)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    erm would this special just be for the month of october or will it last way on to the hills (fat chance)?

That will remain to be seen, certainly the modem offer may be free but the monthly price will be here to stay.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hmmmm.......

The Irish grape vine has been known to err on occasion ;)

This would in fact be perfect for me, considering DSL as we speak. I was gonna avoid eircom, but even the most steadfast complainer has to bow to simple economics :)

Fingers crossed everyone.

Any more info you can give us to instill yet further confidence in this rumour flamey? ;)

Originally posted by seamus
    Any more info you can give us to instill yet further confidence in this rumour flamey? ;)

The monthly price is a definate feature :), the other finer details will come to light in the not so distant future. I had a nice conversation (for a change) with our corperate sales manager. :)

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by flamegrill
    I had a nice conversation (for a change) with our corperate sales manager. :)

Its been my experience that Sales Managers will tell you that the sun is a delightful shade of green and that pork chops come with furry wings if they thought you might help them make their target for that month :)

Having said that, if this were true it would be stonkingly good news for broadband in ireland (particularly the wholesale price part)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

wonder if this is related to the announcement 'gombin' said eircom would make this w/end ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i know this is a very pessimistic statment but i bet it has a 1 gb cap or something else that will make it useless

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Very interesting. This is exactly what they need to do in order to meet their unofficial target of 100,000 customers next year.

It would be fabulous news for Ireland, with no install fee and just €40 a month, we're almost hitting that magic price threshold that most people interested in broadband would be prepared to pay.

The new wholesale rate would then be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Or does this mean, eircom aren't going to reduce the wholesale rate. Rather they are just going to engage in an anti-competitive practise to sweep up the broadband market selling at below cost the exact same service.

Then moan and complain, and play the sympathy card as comreg tell them they aren't allowed to break the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

assuming nothing changes between now and then, from oct. it will be:

99e self install (199e for engineer).

same cap as starter (4gb)

no free modem, so 139 for the netopia (only one i would recommend ***).

something to chew on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by tuxx
    i know this is a very pessimistic statment but i bet it has a 1 gb cap or something else that will make it useless
    They could try that. However, in order to release a retail product, Eircom must first provide a wholesale bitstream product for OLOs like Esat, UTV, Netsource etc. This bitstream product will not have a cap and so it will be up to competing providers to determine what the cap (if any) should be.

If Eircom want all the business to go to other providers then a 1 gig cap might be a good way to go about it.

Originally posted by nahdoic
    Or does this mean, eircom aren't going to reduce the wholesale rate. Rather they are just going to engage in an anti-competitive practise to sweep up the broadband market selling at below cost the exact same service.

Then moan and complain, and play the sympathy card as comreg tell them they aren't allowed to break the law.
    What they did the last time was announce the retail price to great fanfair while the wholesale price was still being negotiated with ComReg. This would have served to put great pressure on ComReg to approve whatever wholesale price Eircom were proposing. It emerged subsequently that the proposed charge was 28 euros per port. This was subsequently reduced to 27 euros, still the highest in Europe for low-end wholesale bitstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

and the torture still goes on for poor old shin, whats the betting the fecking line will still fail with this new offering

dirty rotten bastards

shin

Originally posted by shinzon
    and the torture still goes on for poor old shin, whats the betting the fecking line will still fail with this new offering
    It will fail.

Lets hope then that Chaz wasn't looking around for a new location for an IBB transmitter on this thread. He said he wasn't, of course, and I've no reason to disbelieve him.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

On the ball parasite. Press release was originally due for this morning, but that has now been pushed back to Friday. There will also be adverts in the National press as of from Sunday.

Ex-VAT price is more that likely going to be €35 for monthly rental. As Paul says modem and connection is free, but they are also going to throw in the 1st month's rental for free. I'm lead to believe offer is to last until at least Xmas.

From what I'm told there were 4 packages submitted to ComReg, of which this was the only that got approval.

Regards.
    Originally posted by parasite
    wonder if this is related to the announcement 'gombin' said eircom would make this w/end ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Gombín is the man! Keep an eye on the Pending price changes over on the Eircom site for the nitty gritty. Iexpect a change to the wholesale price from €27 to €20-21 which means that all the others can reduce their price by the same amount this weekend (not the same percentage mind!) .

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by gombín
    I'm lead to believe offer is to last until at least Xmas.
    If this is true, it's permanant. Even Eircom's current muppet marketroids wouldn't be that stupid. And that's a statement and a half.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Just a quick question, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, eircom will have to provide a wholsale rate and if they do wont the product have to be delayed like the introduction of the whole RADSL product so competitors will be able to make their own packages, so there would be no way for it to be introduced in October?

I did predict something like this for the christmas market . Its heartening when Phils and Co. read ones Posts although I believe that it will have to be nearer €30 by May or June next year.

€39.99 is a good start, Eircom get more than half way there in the one hop . Do not expect any improvement in Caps or Contentions for this product.

M

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Muck
    Gombín is the man! Keep an eye on the Pending price changes over on the Eircom site for the nitty gritty. Iexpect a change to the wholesale price from €27 to €20-21 which means that all the others can reduce their price by the same amount this weekend (not the same percentage mind!) .

M

Muck,

I think the wholesale price is going to be a while yet, but lets wait and see :)

btw 20 euro is what it will be if it happens.

P

Originally posted by talla
    Just a quick question, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, eircom will have to provide a wholsale rate and if they do wont the product have to be delayed like the introduction of the whole RADSL product so competitors will be able to make their own packages, so there would be no way for it to be introduced in October?

Dare I say it?

According to my contact "eircom are going to take a hit on this one so as to stimulate the uptake of DSL sales".

That leads me to believe that there won't be a wholesale rate change yet. But again lets wait and see.

P

I think the wholesale price is going to be a while yet, but lets wait and see :)
    Do we have a choice?

Of course, that means that the retail price will also be delayed giving Eircom to opportunity to complain that ComReg is holding things up with its overbearing micromanagement.

Dare I say it?
    According to my contact "eircom are going to take a hit on this one so as to stimulate the uptake of DSL sales".
    That leads me to believe that there won't be a wholesale rate change yet. But again lets wait and see.

'Eircom' will 'take a hit' .........g'wan ya good thing!

As the wholesale price is €27 they will swear hand on heart that all other costs are covered in €8 a month according to your €35 figure. This will not amount to predatory pricing and abuse of dominant position ?

IMO the wholesale and the retail prices must drop in tandem.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

What a shame that Eircom retail and wholesale are different companies (otherwise it would only look like they were taking a hit)

Oh yeah....

Still a reasonable step forward though. 100,000 connections now sounds like a reasonable possibility if they follow the Muck Plan and drop prices again in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

great new's all round if its true.......I really hope it is

keep up the good work Ireland offline your riseing awareness and it seems to be helping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

thinks its time to drag up that post from Martin from UTV a while back with his breakdown of costing for RADSL?

No matter what, this is clearly a step in the right direction.

I only hope it bears the fruits that I was promised heh.

I think the guy 1) just got laid or 2) was drunk after a liquid lunch as he never talks this much :)

P

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

If this price drop takes place then it should indeed help to stimulate demand.

For Eircom to meet their 100,000 subscriber target however they will need to do a lot more, including selling the benenfits of bb (and a mouse in a sombrero doesn't do it), enable more exchanges, and provide decent backup and support.

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

of course -- if your exchange is not enabled, and according to recent info, wont be for 2 years...it might as well be free for all the good it will do some here......
    but at least they are starting to listen :( :rolleyes: :mad:

Advertisement