Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to launch a special in October

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Lets see.. I can continue to pay Netsource €66 a month for ping poor connection and poor treatment of customers and no cap (but in fact there is one, a hidden one of approx 10Gb I'd say). Oh and a 2 month rolling contract.

Or

I can pay Eircom €40 a month for a reasonably stable broadband connection(pings are solid), which has a small cap (4Gb), free modem (which I don't need but not to worry), and poor treatment of customers (unless they happen to be taking you off a competitior).
    A 12 month contract on this one I presume?

Hmm much as I hate to say it Eircom is starting to look much more inviting now. Especially given recent experience of Netsource. A shame but what can you do.

Nasty bit of price undercutting though to stomp all over the competition. I can't see how the other companies will let them do this from a legal point of view. Surely if they don't provide it to all its a monopoly abusing its power?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

they will more than likely up the cap to 5 gig to match Iol and utv offering .......Same offer better service (and lets be honest they do offer a better service than most)and 11 euro cheaper no matter how much you hate eircom thats not bad

assumeing its right that is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

If thats whats on offer I suspect I'll be sending my two months notice to Netsource unless they are willing to match whats on offer. They certainly aren't worth paying €26 more for what is effictively the same service. Mind you the first thing they could do is drop the requirement for a domain name (and charging the nutty rate of €12 a month for it). I registered a domain for years for €27 euro recently and I could do better if I shopped around more too.

I am getting a bit tired of being regarded as a cash cow of netsources rather than a valued customer.

I've already warned several people off their service due to recent happenings and the poor setup they have in place. Mind you a lot of their problems are due to Eircom being a bit more savvy than them when it comes to contracts.

Anyway sorry I didn't mean to turn this into another "Netfarce" thread.

Just rambling..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Originally posted by flamegrill
    On a slightly similar note, the Enhanced package is rumoured to go 2mbit/s in the coming months

Hmmm, from what i know of Eircom's deployments, where there is DSL, its of the G.Lite variant, which has a maximum speed of 1.5Mb/512k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Hmmm, from what i know of Eircom's deployments, where there is DSL, its of the G.Lite variant, which has a maximum speed of 1.5Mb/512k.

Damn you stan, I 'd gotten my hopes up and all...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by echomadman
    Damn you stan, I 'd gotten my hopes up and all...

LOL even if it was a 2Mb connection it would be around 700 a month to discourage Leased line customers from changing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

The Enhanced package doesn't use the same equipment as the RADSL home user one so they could upgrade to 2Mb DSL if they wanted to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Re: €ircons new offerings!.

I am genuinely surprised and very disappointed at just how quickly people are ready to forgive & forget €ircons past abominable and imho unforgivable behaviour in deliberately ripping - off the gullible general public and very many of this forums members.

This punter for one. Will never go back too the €ircon RAT . Even if they offered me free 24/7 Internet access.

P.:confused:

Originally posted by Ro
    The Enhanced package doesn't use the same equipment as the RADSL home user one so they could upgrade to 2Mb DSL if they wanted to.

Their enhanced service, which has been rolled out in their exchanges is of the G.Lite variant.

If you know otherwise, please provide details. Remember they rolled out ADSL before RADSL. and RADSL is inferior to ADSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Originally posted by STaN
    Their enhanced service, which has been rolled out in their exchanges is of the G.Lite variant.

If you know otherwise, please provide details. Remember they rolled out ADSL before RADSL. and RADSL is inferior to ADSL.

Even if they do, as you can see from here [1] G.lite can do 4mbps download. So it doesn't matter. Also my router reports G.DMT on the radsl service, now why would they use an inferior version on the more expensive server? :)

[1] http://www.aware.com/products/dsl/glite.htm

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭esentziak

LOL even if it was a 2Mb connection it would be around 700 a month to discourage Leased line customers from changing

Can you explain what you mean by this? I have a Leased line with ESAT and am thinking of changing to Eircom Enhanced package.

No cap, faster than my lease line and cheaper.

Your comments have me a bit worried; did I miss something? Is there a reason why I should not change from a Leased line to Eircom Enhanced?

thanks for repky
    Esentziak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/pdf/adsl.pdf

Page 24:
    ADSL Bitstream Service will comply with DMT ADSL in the Issue 2, Category II, ITU Technical Requirement G.992.1, and Testing under ETSI specification ETR328

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

G.DMT has a capability of 8192k/640k and a range of up to 4.5 MILES , about 7.1km albeit not at the higest speeds.

The UK has now moved to provisioning at 6km

M

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Re: €ircons new offerings!.

I am genuinely surprised and very disappointed at just how quickly people are ready to forgive & forget €ircons past abominable and imho unforgivable behaviour in deliberately ripping - off the gullible general public and very many of this forums members.

This punter for one. Will never go back too the €ircon RAT . Even if they offered me free 24/7 Internet access.

P.:confused:

I have to agree with Paddy on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

I just had a visit from an Eircom Sales Rep - one of those people trying to get me to change back to Eircom. I am well used to these visits and I am small minded enough to enjoy bating the unfortunate sales reps. Unusually this chap was very up front and actually interesting to talk to.

I pointed out that Eircom were way too expensive for Internet and their recent flat rate internet package is not even at the races. Not being an Eircom hater like some others I did also say that I felt that Eircom had some good points - high level of competence, good service and reasonable pricing on local and national calls but their pricing on international and internet was crazy. He actually agreed with me and told me that as of tomorrow or the next day they will no longer be able to do "win you back" calls but that the sales force had just got word that Eircom was going to try and reposition itself as the cheapest dsl supplier on the market - in an almost Aer Lingus transition from high cost to low cost operator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Mad Mike
    .. but that the sales force had just got word that Eircom was going to try and reposition itself as the cheapest dsl supplier on the market - in an almost Aer Lingus transition from high cost to low cost operator.

Whos used the Aer Lingus anaolgy , you or him .... as a matter of interest ?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

hate to go p1ssing on the old camp fire there, but RADSL is actually significantly superior to ADSL in several ways, the only reason the product offered in the RADSL package isn't is because eircom chose to use the superior parts of the technology to offer an inferior product to its customers to make more money off them.

side by side with the same setup RADSL will beat ADSL hands down.

and who was mentioning a free modem? what kind? only thing is i know eircom have been pushing to make the netopia the only modem offered to home/soho users (because of it's reliability and ease of setup) and they aren't likely to be giving that away free just yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by esentziak

Can you explain what you mean by this? I have a Leased line with ESAT and am thinking of changing to Eircom Enhanced package.

No cap, faster than my lease line and cheaper.

Your comments have me a bit worried; did I miss something? Is there a reason why I should not change from a Leased line to Eircom Enhanced?

thanks for repky
    Esentziak

No, you missed nothing, don't worry, just people being cynical about Eircom.

If you order something at a certain price on a 12 month contract they can't just increase the price on you later, so don't worry.

I'm sure you will save a lot on DSL instead of leased line.

Just in case you are not aware you may have other options:

1) Esat offer the best business DSL packages in Ireland, however unfortunately they are only available in a limited number of exchanges. Ring them and ask for a line test, however don't tell them that you are an existing leased line customer. You know they might tell you that you failed just to hold onto your leased line.

See here for details:
    Esat DSL

2) If you are in Dublin city Irish Broadband and Leap offer excellent rates (even cheaper then DSL and better spec) on fixed wireless access leased line replacements, including service level agreements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Mad Mike
    the sales force had just got word that Eircom was going to try and reposition itself as the cheapest dsl supplier on the market - in an almost Aer Lingus transition from high cost to low cost operator.
    Which would be great, but as has already been pointed out on this thread, Eircom can't be allowed to leverage their wholesale arm to enhance the retail section. Margin squeeze simply can't be allowed, if Eircom are going to bring the prices down the levels suggested in this thread, the wholesale price has to come down. Substantially.

ComReg and of course IrelandOffline should be preparing already for the PR war that will result out of this. Eircom mustn't be allowed play ComReg and the ISP's off against the consumers. Press releases should be written and ready to go. If it happens again, heads must roll.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Any news on this?

I know press releases are usually lunchtime territory but im bored :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Any news on this?

I know press releases are usually lunchtime territory but im bored :)

Heh ain't seen anything as of yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Do you really think we'll see anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Dangger
    Do you really think we'll see anything?

meaning.........?

Meaning I've spent the last week looking into this and it's turned up very little. :(

I'm intrigued however as so much specific information has been put out there, and I have encountered conflicting messages from Eircom, ranging from a firm 100% denial to a weak sounding "I cannot confirm or deny".

Meaning I've spent the last week looking into this and it's turned up very little. :(

I'm intrigued however as so much specific information has been put out there, and I have encountered conflicting messages from Eircom, ranging from a firm 100% denial to a weak sounding "I cannot confirm or deny".

I'm pretty happy with my source on this matter. Weather or not there will be a press release this week or next I don't know. The info I got was about the product and the specifics of it and when it comes into play.

Lets wait.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The advantage of G.lite is that it does not require any microfilters, splitters or anything else to be installed on your phone line.

Thanks for the link Muck, was very helpful, especially regarding ADSL2 and ADSL2+

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/pending.pdf

has been updated with new istream promo charges

Rental Promotion Standard i-stream

looks like 35 euro ex vat--if you stick to the 12 month contract

For those of you wondering, I have just eaten my hat.

For those of you wondering, I have just eaten my hat.

LOL :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Coolermaster

Just rang Eircom. Put my i-stream install on hold until promo kicks in.
    They new nothing about promo but are due to be briefed on Monday morning.

Thanks to those who advised us of this, it saved me a lot of dosh.

Advertisement