Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron Maiden- Dance Of Death.

Options
  • 10-09-2003 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭

I just got my hands on the album today.

What do ye think? I quite like it so far...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I think its brilliant.. and they had a lot to live up to (brave new world, virtual xi, x-factor) My favourite songs on the album are Rainmaker and No More Lies.. can't wait for the gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

got my hands on it a a little while ago.

its a great album. my fav song is Age of Innocence.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

Aye it's class.

Age of Innocence, Paschendale, No More Lies are my favorites - can't pick one.

The rest are pretty damn good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

i havent got it yet but soon my friends soon!
    but i do have my ticket for the concert so im not doin so bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I finally got a good listen to it today. I've just listened to it for the third time in a row now. :)

Good God but this is a good album. There are like three epics there, and most of the songs are really long.

Montsegur is fantastic, Wildest dreams is a great f*ckoff heavy yoke and Journeyman is touching, very much like that song on Killers, prodigal son I think it was.

Some very angry energetic stuff there, both lyrics and guitars.

The sound reminded me quite a bit of Fear of the dark. Not a bad thing. :)

Excellent. Fairly different in some respects to previous stuff, but nevertheless a great CD.

Go buy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I haven't got the album, so I was just wondering is the stuff alot like wildest dreams? I didn't really like that song, save for the bridge and solo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Not really. WD is the shortest one there, and it's almost out of place when you look at everything else on the album. Let's see... Montsegur has the same feel to it as Fallen Angel on BNW (although it's quite different) Paschendale and Dance Of Death are quite unique to me, although some peoople told me it reminds them of To Tame A Land (which I haven't heard) There's a few acoustic guitars in some of the songs, and it's a little mellow sometimes, but there's nice heavy riffs in all the songs except Journeyman, which sounds all acoustic strumming style.

The style varies an awful lot between tunes, but the one thing they have in common is fantastic guitar solos. They just kick ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Saw it in town the last day, but no money... So I've not heard it yet. But I shall!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

got it today, fuppin amazin. Montsegur prolly bein my fav

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Sarky
    but the one thing they have in common is fantastic guitar solos. They just kick ass!
    Iron Maiden have always managed to deliver good solo's really, Dave Murrey is a great guitarist IMO.

Havent got my hands on this yet - ill get it sooner or later tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Got it and tickets for the gig from my girlfriend for my birthday.

Just to clarify, I am a huge maiden fan, going back years now. I bought Somewhere in Time when it first came out ! I was 11. Since then I have gotten all the albums, my favourites being piece of mind and seventh son.

I obviously like the new album although I have only heard it once, and it was a quick listen in the car at that. But I am dissappointed. Wildest dreams for all the reviews saying how catchy it is I can't really see it myself. In fact, nothing jumped out on the first listen, like for example on the fear of the dark album, where the title track, afraid to shoot strangers, here to eternity, wasting love and be quick or be dead stood out straight away and the rest although patchy grew on me later.

In this one, from what I recall on first impression, rainmaker, montsegur, age of innocence, stuck in my mind as ones that were almost great but not quite. Dance of Death abd Paschendale are typically narritve based maiden epics, I will reserve judgement until I have heard them a few times. Journeyman must be their first accoustic studio song surely ? Not sure about that one yet. No more lies with Bruce shouting no more lies 8 times as a chorus was ruined exactley for that reason, shame like the riffs. I'm not humming any of them in my head, thats a bad sign. Still looks like when I get a bit more time to appreciate them most of the rest should grow on me and I'll be singing along on december 1st.

Overall, good, better than any of the blaze era stuff, better that killers (aren't I the little heathen ?) and no prayer, to be honest a lot of the filler stuff on the album sounds more like Bruces solo stuff than maiden and the 3 guitars aren't used as much as I would have liked.

In all, less classic maiden than Brave new World was where they seemed to try to recapture their former epic selves, and a slight change in direction. Recommended for fans, but this one is a grower rather than one that hooks you straight away.

Will have a few listens and post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

From the sound of things Iron Maiden havent totally lost their touch.... unlike another certain old metal band *cough metallica cough*, definately going to get it very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Funnily enough I am a big Metallica fan too. I have to say, I loved all albums up to an including the black album, liked until it sleeps the first single from load, and then got the album to find they'd gone all Bon Jovi. Reload was barely any better and maybe even worse. I don't like the St Anger single at all, so I haven't bought the album yet. Shame about Metallica. That said I still have all my Albums (up to and not including load) ripped to MP3 and playing in my in car MP3 player.

Just been listening to Maiden again. Rainmaker is the best song on it I reckon. Very catchy, should be the next single and they better bloody play it live !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Shred

Have a lend of Dance from me brother at the moment, it's the first Maiden album i've bothered with since I saw them in the point in September 1990 (My god - 13 bloody years ago:eek: ). They were on the 'No Prayer For The Dying' tour which was a bit of a so-so album.

Anyway, I think it's a really great album there's some really classic sh*t on there. The title track is absolutely brilliant - that middle section has some unbelievable jamming in it, brilliant brilliant stuff. Really looking forward to the gig now (which the same brother bought me a ticket for:) ) and I'll definately be picking this one up.

Now I must catch up on the rest of the albums I've missed...:rolleyes:

Oh and Quigs, I'm much the same as you about Metallica although I didn't like a thing off Load or anyting since. I wouldn't compare them to Bon Jovi either - too heavy, more like Poison (what with wearing eye liner 'n' stuff):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Shred - stay on topic!!:D Back to Maiden!

Aw sorry man did I hurt you with my truthful comments:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

we'll see about that one next time...:ninja:

Saw Maiden live in 2000 in Germany (headlining with Motorhead and Slayer, damn what a nite !) and i have to say to me it makes all the difference hearing 3 guitars on stage - excellent stuff !
    For some reason i always preferred Adrian's style to Yannick's...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Just got the album :D

I was sittign there through WD and thinking "meh". Rainmaker is alright, but then "No more lies" just kicked in right now and I'm thinking "holy fu ... " :D

I'm looking forward to listening to the rest of this album - and then the gig ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 edhunter

after a few weeks, i've gotton used to it. It didn't hit me as instantly as BNW- that was something else, sheer class- but I have to say 'Face in the Sand' is my fav. Brucies voice just gets better! I think that the keyboards sometimes let them down though, they should be more selective about using them. I have re-listened to Virtual X1 and X factor, again and again and as a whole, they still don't do it for me.
    Anyway, see you front row centre December 1st. Up the Irons!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dotus

Very good album...very good indeed!! Must say it's great to see Maiden still ripping it up after so many years...first time seeing them was way back when I was 12...never forget that & last time was in London for the Clive Burr gig & they fantastic then too - ain't got a ticket for the gig in December though :( ...you'd never know what might happen though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

Finally got it

Advertisement