Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Attn: BMW owners

Options
  • 10-09-2003 8:20pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The BMW Car Club is holding a Better Driving (Track) Day in Mondello Park on the afternoon of Saturday week (20th Sept). It will be an occasion for you to open up your car and gain some RWD driving skills (no going mental though!).
    There should be plenty of nice cars there including 2 E34 M5s and an impecable e30 M3 Evo II.
    If you are interested in coming down for the afternoon then email me @ bmw@kbannon.com or visit www.bmwcarclubgb.co.uk/ireland.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I should have also pointed out that just because there are going to be fast cars there doesn't mean you shouldn't come. If you are driving a slower car that's fine - cars will be grouped accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Is this track day only open to bmws?? Wouldnt mind getting some RWD practice myself!

Peter

Unfortunatley the day is only open to BMWs. The club has rented the track for the afternoon for private use.
    However, Mondello Park does hold open track days where you can go down and drive but unfortunatley there are too many idiots at those events (hence why we have gone privatley).
    What are you driving Peter?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Yeh i know about the track days they do, i was at the last 1 on the 4th of august spectating, woulda loved to go out but wasnt in the financial position to do so at the time! And to top it off i think the 1 on the 21st is cancelled!

I'm driving an MR2 Turbo btw, a bit anxious to see how it does on the track. Looks like i might have to go to kirkistown which i dont really wanna do as its a very fast track compared to mondello and puts a lot of strain on the car.

Cheers Anyway!
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I find this funny as most of the folks at the open days complain about the BMW drivers ;) and most of the black flags I have seen when I have been up there have been for the BMW's.

Your right though there are some nuts on the track at the open days but in fairness Ian and the lads try to sort the groups as best they can and if you dont like the group your in they will either deal with the drivers or put you in the next goup up if your cars up to it. I must say though I have done two days these year and the international circuit in mondello is a fun track..

• Advertisement

I think most of the people driving BMS that you saw were just after buying an old 5 series in the Buy & Sell for €100 and just wanted to thrash it. That won't be happening with our event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Ah.......I remember doing one of their "race" days there, in one of their single seater jobs, my god that home straight is one bumpy son of a bitch @100mph.

Very enjoyable though. Can't wait to do it again, although going fast in a straight line isn't really that special, I'll prob switch to the rally courses...

If you own a Beemer go to it !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

bah, id love to go, but i cant :(

@Kbannon nope I have raced against better BMW's at the open days than you are describing some being proper track cars, others being daily drivers but yes there is the odd bull and sell job. Any way its the 3 series that get in trouble out there not the 5's they just chew up their tyres :D.

@Dr. Dre There are plenty of corners to keep any driver happy hhhmmmm tarzan's :cool: man I love those corners ;) and of course there is Dunlop the corner that see's most off's

I think you will find that the E30 M3 is possibly the best road going 'made for track' car out there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

apart from the CSL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

are spectators welcome at this event ?

you are more than welcome - well be on track from 2 onwards

grand - already asked to do some movie work from inside Ken's E36, but forgot to ask can I bring my own and park up.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Well only 3 days to go, see ye there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 evoIIman

The EVO II is ready for action!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Young Sid

I presume this BMW day out includes a re-chipping option for 3 series drivers to remove the "must try & race every big motorbike I see" program? :D :cool:

LOL :D

Kbannon - yours is an E30 correct ? must get an AVI for all to see ;)

it is a red e30 320i SE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Originally posted by Young Sid
    I presume this BMW day out includes a re-chipping option for 3 series drivers to remove the "must try & race every big motorbike I see" program? :D :cool:

.. they don't really try to race motorbikes, do they..?
    Sound like masochists, or suckers for punishment...

Did I hear correctly when I heard a M5 had a meeting with the tire wall on Dunlop and a 03 M3 had a meeting with the pit wall?

An M5 (E34 1991) went into the gravel on the last corner (Dunlop) but nothing serious. An e46 03 reg M3 met the pit wall coming out of dunlop on the last lap of the last session and ended up with a damaged front end (and ego). All in all it was a great day for all.

I told you it was always those BMW's causing hassle at the public trackdays ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Was like driving on a fecking ice rink at the beginning of the day - had a great laugh though

heres the M3...

m3.jpg

Advertisement