Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldering station at Maplin

• 10-09-2003 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Not everyones cup of tea but I have wanted one for ages. I saw it in their monthly specials flyer. It is reduced from €52 to €18 for the next few weeks. That is horribly cheap by any standards.
    It is a no name brand but looks the part. 50W. I picked one up today at the Jervis Street location.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

great - thanks for the heads-up on the special - wanted a new one - this will do the job nicely :)

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Cool, I have seen this one in action and is not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Suitable for mod'n your PS2 or Xbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I have no idea what it takes to mod an XBox or PS2 but unless it is surface mount, it should be fine. In fact, even if it is surface mount, it would probably do. It is temperature controlled and has a fairly pointed tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

PS2:

ps2.jpg

Xbox:
    All the solder points within the XBox are soldered pads, and easily accessible. Relatively experienced solderers, with patience and a steady hand should have no problems following the guides to solder to points that are roughly 1 mm in diameter, aproximately the size of the 'full stop' dot on a keyboard. A low powered (15 Watt) soldering iron is ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

on a mate's xbox - the chip he got required two very tricky points to be soldered - but most were pads - have a desoldering wick close to hand ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I bought a non-solder mod chip for the PS2 because I can't solder and it was really cheap, between €20-30. Much less risk involved.

Advertisement