Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"A" license question

Options
  • 10-09-2003 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Evening All ,

been trying to find some information and made some calls, but somehow I couldn't get anyone who was able (..or willing to look up the answer) :

I've got a full car license (C, innit ?) and want to get an A license.
    I understand that I have to get a provisional license, and once I got that I need to take a theoretical test. So far so good.. but do I need to take a practical driving test as well, or is it more like: get the provisional, take the theory test, get a full license ?

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Car licence is B.

To get a provisional A licence, you will need to first do a theory test (if you haven't done one already).

Then you have to do a practical test because motorbikes and cars are two very different beasts.

Then you can apply for your full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Zumpel

thanks for the quick reply and clearing this up. guess I better get me some study materials from easons tomorrow.

thnx again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

but can you ride a bike after you pass your theory test?
    do you do a practical test to get your provisional, or just your full-licence?

roughly [very] how much would insurance be on a 125cc old-skool type bike?
    [eg. 125 yamaha dragstar]
    i'm 23 [nearly]
    5 years car driving experience, with full drivers licence.

dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

this bike would actually fall into a different licence category.

A1
    Motorcycles with an engine size of 51-125cc and/or a speed capability of over 45km/h, and with a power rating not exceeding 11 kW, and with or without sidecar

dragstar 124cc
    Maximum power: 9.6kW (13HP) @ 10,000 rpm

does that make any difference?

dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

All you need to do is....

Book and pass your theory test if not already done so.

Take certificate from above test to your motor tax office and ask for a provisional A license.

Sort your insurance and tax then and your free to drive, you dont take a practical test to get on the road, you only do a practical test when you are going for a full license.

Your provisional license will be a joint A1/A. Should you take the full test for an A1 licence (which you will have to do on a bike <150cc) then you would be back on a provisional if you decide to get a bigger bike at a later date, mening another test to get the full A licence.

• Advertisement

As Snaga says, best thing to do is to apply for a provisional, and tick both A1 and A.

Your current full car licence and no claims bonus has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on your bike insurance.

Go to www.hiberniandirect.ie and get a quote as a 23 year old on a provisional licence with 0 no claims bonus.

You're probably looking at around €2k.

For your test, you could apply for A1, but as Snaga says, if/when you get a bigger bike, you'll be back on a provisional licence. IMO, best thing to do is to apply for the A test (hence why you tick both A and A1 when applying for the licence), and then rent a bike from a driving instruction company for your test (as I'm going to be doing at the end of next month).

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

regarding insurance, check out Hibernian Direct

For a 23 yo male in Dublin on a Dragstar, fully comp is approx 3200 and third party only is 2000 :eek: If you're buying from a shop, they might be agents for AON who are a broker that deal with Hibernian. As an under-25 you've no choice. Carole Nash are unlikely to insure you; they have a starting age of 25, but I've heard of exceptions.

At your age, I think a scooter would be a cheaper option. I also found acceleration on a 125 cruiser was poor. Actually unsafe as cars try to run your over when lights go green.

For more information do a search on this board; this topic has been covered several times.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Sorry about this, and I know I'm one of the people who's asked quite a few questions about this, but Seamus mentioned something that I was unsure about.

I now have the Provisional A category on my licence, so can I start getting instructions on driving a real bike and pass the test as soon as I like? Do I not have to wait for another year before I can take the test?

Cheers,

Si.

Originally posted by SuprSi
    Sorry about this, and I know I'm one of the people who's asked quite a few questions about this, but Seamus mentioned something that I was unsure about.

I now have the Provisional A category on my licence, so can I start getting instructions on driving a real bike and pass the test as soon as I like? Do I not have to wait for another year before I can take the test?

Cheers,

Si.
    No.

A1 is there essentially for backwards compatibility. There is no need to even obtain an A1 licence anymore.
    Once you have an A licence (provisional or otherwise), you can ride any bike (within the 25kW restriction of course), and just like the B licence, you can take the test whenever you want.

And that 25Kw restriction applies for two years after passing the test, right? Thanks for clearing that up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

The A1 licence is aimed at 16 year olds to allow them get on the road. Over 18s can apply for an A licence. Also if you have a car (B) licence, you are licenced to drive a bike of up to 50cc and not capable of more than 45 kph. That is a B licence also grants you licence to cover category M and also W (work vehicles)

The power restriction contrinues for 2 years after you get your full licence. So if you do not apply for your licence immediately after passing the test, the restricted period will be more than 2 years.

That's unless the government introduce Direct Access as they are required by EU law to do... 2 chances of that then. Direct Access allows a rider to quality on bikes without power restrictions.

One bit of advice I would give. Apply for the test ASAP. The waiting list is waaaay too long. Also get some lessons, see other threads ;)
    Star Rider courses run by Fingal Co Council are off the road until mid-Feb. So your only option at the moment is to get a bike, get IRTA lessons. The lessons will not only help to pass the test, but improve your chances on the roads. It is _not_ easy, but it is satisfying to get out on 2 wheels.

Excellent, thanks once again a_ominous :D

Advertisement