Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your hours like?

• 11-09-2003 12:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

This year my timetable is incredibly sucky I know there are worse out there so I'm just asking what are your timetables like?

Each week I have...

* 26 - 29 hours of lectures
    * 3/4 hours of tutorials
    * 3 hours of labs

I'm doing a BSc. in Sports Science and Health in DCU (1st year)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Well I'm currently working from about 2pm to 4am, average of eight hours per day seven days a week but soon to be much, much more.

Ah, the joys of finishing a research degree from home :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Ah.... newst term/year. I'll have about 3 hours of lectures a week. And then the rest of the time I'll be spending working on other peoples projects....

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Only wish i had the brain capacity to figure out how the whole CAO form worked, so I could have a proper education. All that drink culture I missed. making up for it now though. Amz , you must have it tough.

Still plenty of drink still left in Kildare I think....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

24 hours including labs and lectures.No college on fridays :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I found first year the worst for hours. After that lecture hours eased off, but to compensate we were expected to put more work into labs etc, which were open-ended for us.

good luck, even though you'll be working hard, you'll also party hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

how did you get your DCU timetable for first year?!?

i'm doin common entry science, how do i get me timetable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Have bout 12 hours of lectures, dont know bout tutorials yet. Probably gonna total to about 17 hours a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sumaire

I have about 12 hours also, I haven't yet got my tutorials. But I don't think I am going to be over burdoned, at all. Unlike some of you out there... some of the hours are shocking.

-Sumaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

www.dcu.ie

or

www.dcu.ie/newstudent.htm

(I'm repeating so was able to get it on my portal page which you'll get a password for etc when you register, although the timetables are on the public webpage too if you look for it in the right places)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

roughly how many hours would a degree in Computer Science be in the 1st year? If some did it in DIT it would be better.

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

20 hours a week in second year Languages with Computing in UL.

Pretty decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by eireboy
    roughly how many hours would a degree in Computer Science be in the 1st year? If some did it in DIT it would be better.

thanks.

Yeah i did it last year.. roughly 20 hours a week including practicals.. not too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'm starting a research masters so I get to do the work whenever I want, just have to attend the odd seminar here and there AFAIK! Finally, years of being a nerd pay off - I get to lie in most mornings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

My hours are a lot like first year, bout 20 a week. What I'm uber-happy about is that they start so late. In first year I had 9am lecture every day of the year! Whereas this year I start at 2pm on Monday, gradually getting earlier as the week progresses with my earliest being 10am. Life is sweet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

About 8 and a half hours of lectures a week.
    THe only one Im peeved at is the 9 start on Thursday. Wednesday student nights are the best :/

Law-UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Jeez Amz, DCU is renowned for having heavy workloads and long hours, I thought ya knew that :)

I remember seeing a BT timetable and it was 9am-2pm with no break and then 3pm-6pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

11 hrs lectures
    8 hrs practical
    1 hr tutorial

and a half-day wedensday just like skool again :)

Seems handy enough hour wise, hope im usin the time tables properly :confused: its a bit tricky to find the right stuff on the dcu website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i havn't registered yet but i'd like to find my timetable?

is that possible on theDCU website, all my searches amount to zip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Jeez Amz, DCU is renowned for having heavy workloads and long hours, I thought ya knew that :)

:p
    Quiet you!!

I'm just having a bit of a wallow in self pity here!

Semester two hours are sweet as I know from last year then second year is a handy timetable.

/me kicks self for Fucking things up last year

If anyone wants to help me with Physics and Maths I'd appreciate it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

How could you be repeating a first year subject in DCU????
    I mean they are pretty easy!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by jonhate
    How could you be repeating a first year subject in DCU????
    I mean they are pretty easy!!:D

Yeah, you're obviously not in the science faculty.
    The failure rate in first year science across alll subjects is about 25-30%, this taking into account that DCU has the highest science points entry.

If its any consolation Amz, my hours have averaged at about 70 hours/week for the past few months, I even worked a 14 hour day on my birthday (although I didn't do much).

Just a bit peeved as I've been talking to people starting arts "degrees" and they have as few as 8 hours per week, plus they get all sorts of reading weeks etc throughout the year.

My b/f called my course a glorified Arts degree not a proper B.Sc which pissed me off no end and he keeps hearing about it hehehehe! bastid... anyway... was just wondering what most peoples hours were like seems only the scientists and engineers know what a hard week is like.

Ah well...

Hope you enjoyed your birthday all the same sykeirl :)

I had two exams my last birthday hehe! Gah!

And Jonhate the main reason I'm repeating is because I was in and out of hospital and had a few other things going on in my life last year which affected my ability to concentrate fully on my course. Thanks for asking :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

3rd year arts, doing my finals (obviously).

have about 10 hours a week plus the odd tutorial.

luvin it luvin it luvin it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm on 11 hours this week but it'll probably go up to about 20 in the next week or so. I'm doing 2nd year Software Development in DKIT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Hmm, I did an Arts degree and had 26 hours per week in first year and about 20 in second/third year. Plus there was a phenomenal amount of reading to be done if you wanted to get anywhere near a first. Suppose it depends on the college and subjects though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

3rd year of Computer Apps at DCU and things are really looking good!! 4 day week with 13 hours total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm in third year of a 4 year computer networking degree @ carlow IT. Currently I have 16 hours a week, most of them lectures, just a couple of labs. Had about 30 hours a week in first year though! This year finishes in march for me, work placement shenanigans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I had 36 hours a week, and if you go to the extra tutorials, its was about 40. It's over now though :)
    9 - 6 nearly everyday with little breaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

about sixty mins in length.....

* apologies.

Advertisement