Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patheticism - a fine art.

Options
  • 19-05-1999 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Over the last 8 months I have been flirting with the Irish Quake scene. Looking back the only thing I've gained from it is the introduction to personalities. Afew mates gained. Other than that I've wasted alot of time, gained extra otherwise avoidable stress and I strong sense of hatred for on-line stupidity.

I've considered the possibility that Irish Quake is a safe haven for rejects of society. I haven't reached a conclusion on this only because I can't yet point my finger at any perfect example. If a person was rejected by society then the Irish Quake scene would be a safe haven. Wouldn't it?

Upon realising that I dislike Quake when I lose repeatedly, I haven't really played it all that much. Tending to stick to Q2 duel-only q2dm1 (seeing as I usually win there).

I'd much rather Quake player's in a social enviornment, out of their quakeshell. I'm sure they'd also much rather me. If, in the Irish Quake scene, you decide to disagree with someone who holds a high position of authority it is very easy for that person to shut-off your voice and disregard your opinions as 'muppetry'. This creates extreme, un-releasable anger. I have alot of it.

I wrote the above to see what people would say in response, not because I wanted to write it.

Daire.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

Yada

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

I see what ure getting at Daire, but as regards the Quake scene of all scenes, a general term could never apply.
    Maybe a few years ago, the only people online used to use their computers to "hide" and pretend they were someone else, but thats not the case now.
    I dunno how many Quakers you have met, but from my experience, and I have met most of em, they are SUCH a mixed bunch.

When we were playin quake here on the lan at the start, and were invited to Quakefest, I thought 'jesus christ, a party where everyone is gonna sit at pcs and play quake, and talk quake', and we were expecting 50 Bill Gates lookalikes at the thing, but it was completely the opposite.
    you have a certain amount of geeky looking freaks that cannot be without their beloved computers, then you have quake players who are pure normal and after a run on dm4 will go drink 15 pints and pull a bird 5 seconds into a niteclub (ahem, blade).
    I remember playin a lad on the lan called Bielzibub, he was later in the spice clan, and because of the rivalry on the lan with us, when Scary beat me they made this big poncy website of pure gayness, prolly spent all night at it, and i was thinking, 'who are these lepers', and then I met them outside of Quake, went drinkin with them, and they are the coolest shower of kuntz u could meet, one of em, OL is now my best mate. Is that the kinda thing you're talkin about?
    I think the age of computerheads being nerdy dickheads is gone, I have been playin Quake for over 2 years, sad as it may sound. I made plenty of good friends, made loadsa contacts, got me a job through one of them, a place to live from another. Quake is just a pastime for me and most people, an interest like the way some people are mad into soccer or rollerblading or whatever.
    Sure you get stick about it, the girlfriend slags the sh!t out of me about the fact that I went to fookin France to play the frogs in a computer game, we mention Quake in the pub and the other lads go 'oh jezus not again', but fukk it, I enjoy playin it, it's a good laugh, and most ppl would be the of the same opinion, thats its nothing to do with hiding in a locked room trying to be good at a game as a substitute for having no life.
    I do see what you mean about the attitudes though, it is very annoying. some people think they can say what they like because they think they are above you. They ARE the sad b@stards you mentioned.
    You just have to recognise who's a twat and who isnt.

btw, posting a long message like this at 3am is what in UL we call ABS, Anything But Study.

back to de books.

Z.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

I just don't speak to people i don't like/have anything in common with....in real life and in quake... simple as that. I met alot of sound people in quake, i also know a few people i'd love to *SLAP!* but hey there ya go. The percentage one way or the other seems about fitting with REAL life imo. I certainly know quite a few people who play quake who are anything but nerdy/square/gimps/social rejects.

LOL. I get that from the mates as well Zero do what i do put them in front of the computer in the middle of an FFa and they understand rather quick.

2 of my friends went and got computers lately and are saving up for a graphics card purely so they can play quake. I think its funny they were giving me loads and now look.

One of these guys is one of the most Famous Irish Dj's over the last few years and when he's over here never leaves the Servers so your point is right from where i'am sitting.You can't call him a computer nerd now can you.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Riker

I agree with everything Zero said especially the ABS, I know it well smile.gif

• Advertisement

LOL POX. Could imagine Larry Coogan playing heheh.

Nawwww try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭pox

omg - larry gogan is a computer nerd!??!?!

Advertisement