Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is quake 3 really that good?

Options
  • 18-05-1999 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Well is it? I think everyone just wants it too be good but it aint really that good after your have played it a few times. At the end of the day Quake1 still beats everything hands down. anyone else think the same?

Quake3 is fun but it aint all that smile.gif
    People just want it to be. it is just a test version but still it doesnt seem to be that "great" just alot of hype realy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

nah, I ahve to day that goin 1 on 1 on q3test2 againt Zero on LAN is a heluva lot more fun than any quake 1 dool I've ever played. Q2 players aint gonna have the huge rail advantage we all expected them to have, Zero for one is fookin lethal with the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Judas

Im very disapointed with the Q3A test
    the weopons are poor the trails are a joke
    the footsteps annoying to say the least. I
    must admit it looks very nice but thats not what quake is about wheres all the speed gone??????erm lets just hope the real version is a BIG FOOKING step forward from this test
    cause the Q3a test was a joke and a bad one at that.

JuD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Polish

Its crap imho. It isint aimed at hardcore players which we all are :/ Time to look at Team Fortress 2 or UT me thinks

For once id f|_|cked up :/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It rox curlydav.gif

I can't wait for the final release (to say nothing of the demo which I'm sure will appear first).

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    homepage.tinet.ie/~davitt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

q3 is sort of a grey area now...

nice graphics...shame about the framerate...
    good weapons balance...shame they still change too slowly...
    rocket launchers great...pity about the splash damage..
    fast, but not fast enough :/
    very buggy aswell

Cardinal Fang, fetch...the comfy chair!
    clans.quake2.co.uk/hiv
    www.planet-tribes.com/em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Quake is dead. It would be gone off my hd only I have 12 free gigs so theres no point.

Q3 WILL take over from Q1 whether you like it or not.
    It is the new religion.
    It rox and you WILL take it.

Zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dupre

Its damn better than sticking to Quake 1 or Quake 2. Same old corridor, same old tricks, .... *YAAAAWN*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

Q3's looking class imho. We'll still have QW if we want to play that.

It's silly to moan about low framerates - the fps is no lower than q1 or q2 were when they came out. A £1200 PC (pII450) gets 30-50 fps. In two years when we can actually play the game properly we'll be on 100fps with tweaks and p1000's.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

EWJ is right.

Everyone who reads this please do me one favour. Go and play Winquake on the net.
    Thats what quake was before the community got their hands on it.

Q3A isnt finished yet, it is aimed at November for release. Thats half a year away and into the PIII 600 range with Riva tnt2s looking kinda old (and cheap) by then.

Low ping connections will be coming on stream from a variety of angles (ISDN, ADSL, Cable etc)

If we arent happy with something we probably arent alone in the world and someone somewhere with too much time on their hands will hack/fix it. Particularly since q3a supports ANSI standard C++ which is taught in colleges around the world.

It *is* new and exciting. New tactics, new opportunities to become better. And you're skills from q1 and q2 DO tranfer over nicely (already I cant beat bunny :/)

Give it a solid week of playing and see what you think. Better still give it until the demo is released.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

The only reason why q3 would take over is because people want it to not because its great cause it aint really. it wont be as competetive as Q1 was and its too slooooooooooooooooow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Polish

Dev winquake was the first version of a online 3d game on the internet. Anyone rembers doom it was 4 comps on ipx and off you go. My point against the use of "look at Winquake before we got our hands on it" erm id have all that experince behind them so I think that this Q3 test is actually pretty near to what Q3 will be (i know weapons not final and all that **** but that _style_ is there to stay)

Imho Quake3 blows goats. Id ****ed up for us hardcore people

Polish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

"The future has a way of ariving unexpected"

Someone clever said that.

Chaos you are living in the past. You would be happy to continue killing muppets ( me ) in dm4 duels until the end of time.

The death of IQCL and lately Clan Survival shows that its imposible to have proper quake 1 leauges anymore. I love quake but its time to move on.

let it go man...

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Well IMGO (the G stand for GRAAAAAAYET) I reckon q3 will come along, UT will come along, Tribes2 will come along, and some other sUUUper sonic game will come along, and we'll all head in our own directions, tears will be shed, nappies will be soiled, but at the end of the day, ..... (No adequate ending springs to mind, help me here)

Best regards,
    steB.

Warning: Terms and Conditions apply. Actual product may be smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

As Ronin said earlier Q3 is just a test - just a test.
    Think of it as a new-born child, it will grow and develop.
    Any1 who remembers playing quake 1 when it came out first remembers how slow it was. That was because of the relatively slow machines at the time - August '96. The shaft we all know and love was little used except in a close fight. As framerates increased the game seemed to accelerate in terms of speed and the shaft became THE deadliest weapon. The game called quake1 has changed and evolved dramatically.
    I dont know how q3test will evolve but if ppl do get a buzz from it at this early stage when the demo hasnt even been released, when the gl, lg and BFG havent been finished and we have only two levels to test the game on - I think it could be and probably will a great FPS shooter.
    Soon as they modify it so you can get all your clan to teleport to another server from the one you just raped and pillaged so that world domination can be achieved - I'll be satisfied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

El Pres said:
    Chaos you are living in the past. You would be happy to continue killing muppets ( me ) in dm4 duels until the end of time.

Go study wink.gif

Still - killing muppets on dm4 is fun!

Be nice actually to have an integrated Quake community - where servers for all 3 quakes are up and ppl still play all 3. Like they're all still great games.

Q3 seems configurable enough so that the same q3.exe could be used to play on servers with Q1 and Q2 maps/physics settings ... That'd be class smile.gif The future could still be spending hours duelling on dm4 with class Q3 graphics and qw physics smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

nah, killing muppets isnt half as much fun as killing smug *******s, and the problem is that nowadays noone in ireland wants to duel anymore, the ones that want a duel aren't smug enough like... you have to go and play on swedish servers if you want to play smug *******s

Advertisement