Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SATA Drive Installation Problem - HELP!

• 11-09-2003 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Just built this system (my first build)…..

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    AMD Athlon XP 2500 + Barton
    Corsair 2 x 512 MB RAM
    2 x Maxtor SATA/150 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB
    Asus CDRW
    Samsung DVD drive
    Enermax PSU 431W

Having trouble installing MS Windows XP PRO – it doesn’t detect my SATA Hard Drives to install onto.

I’ve gone into BIOS and it also doesn’t seem to have detected them there either. It has detected the following:

Primary Master : Samsung DVD
    Primary Slave: None
    Secondary Master: None
    Secondary Slave: Asus CDRW

Do I have to manually detect the SATA drives? I know the motherboard has recognised them, as they are listed with the rest of components on start up. Should my Primary Master / Slave be my hard drives and Secondary Master / Slave be my CD Drives

Hope somebody can help me…….. Thanks in advance!

Also the system has detected my processor as an 1100xp (not 2500xp)….. do I have to manually configure this in BIOS aswell?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

First of all your system should be reporting your cpu speed correctly.. theres a problem there somewhere...

If you've an NForce2 motherboard then make sure the ram is in slots 1 and 3 not 1 and 2 (i've made this mistake a fair few times myself).

If not, the CPU FSB should be set to 166Mhz in the BIOS (this should be automatic anyway, but may require a jumper setting on the motherboard if its slightly older).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Your main hard drive should be on the primary master.
    Detach all the other devices.
    Attach one hard drive to P.M.
    Boot up and see if the BIOS sees it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

most mobos have a separate SATA controller which will not be visible in BIOS.

you may need a driver disk for your SATA controller, whan you startup the XP setup disk, press F6 when is asks if you need to install additional HD drivers.

It will ask you for the disk later on, and you can choose the driver you need from the floppy.

happy days ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

It might be an idea to list the primary boot hard disk thing in the BIOS as SCSI too, that should make it boot off the S-ATA drive when it's all installed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

soupercomputer is exactly right.

hit f6 when it asks if u want to install any other drivers at the very beginning of the setup process. You should have got the disk with the motherboard, if not head over to www.asus.com.tw to make the disk yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 studiomga

Thanks for all the help..... I'll give those ideas a go tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Originally posted by SouperComputer
    you may need a driver disk for your SATA controller, whan you startup the XP setup disk, press F6 when is asks if you need to install additional HD drivers.

It will ask you for the disk later on, and you can choose the driver you need from the floppy.

I have the nForce chipset and that's what I had to do. Hit F6 when it asks if you need to install addtional third-party SCSI controllers and then select the floppy with the S-ATA drivers.

Advertisement