Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resellers related question!

Options
  • 11-09-2003 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I've seen that most hosts offer Reseller packages - enabling developers to "host" sites for customers under their own brand without setting up servers/racks etc.

What if a developer/web designer does'nt require their own brand, but will have clients who obviously need hosting.

Do any hosts offer benefits to a developer to have their clients use that host as the host for their .ie/.com/.net site?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

Yes, this is possible, if I am reading you post correct. It depends on the software they are using on their servers. Therefore under a reseller package you could offer any branding you wish. So you could resell advertising back to the host. However, most will do a deal.

Also hosts are not allowed to directly advertise on these boards, so I’m trying to word this in a way, which won’t break the rules. So I’ll mention two examples;

Hosting365 uses H-Sphere software allows you to put your own logo on your reseller package therefore every site you create under that package carries your logo and branding.

Ketec.ie use Ensim software, the reseller puts their own branding and like above each site inherits the reseller logo etc. leaving the original host completely out of the picture.

I’m sure other hosts have something similar.

The best way is to go to the sticky and email the hosts to send you the link to their online reseller demo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Reselling is the easiest way to do things for hosts, commissions don't work very well because hosting is usually a rolling monthly contract, and who's going to pay for a lead that could cancel in a month? You'll need to talk to a few hosts directly to organise a partnership.

FreeHost, buddy specifically said that s/he doesn't care about branding.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

You may have misread my question or I may have badly worded it.

I don't want to know about being a Reseller or how it is done.

If someone does'nt want to be a Reseller - they don't want their own brand, but as they devlop/create sites for customers they advise the customer on which host to use - freehost, hosting365, blackknight etc etc.

Do any of these hosts offer anything to the developer to reccomend their site to their clients?

I mean this a general question, I don't want to have the rules broken here.

P.S. This may have been put in the wrong forum - apologies.

Yes, hosts are business people, they will do a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

We, for example, typically provide free hosting for designers/developers who can demonstrate that they will sign-up business for us with their customers.

Chat to the hosts, at the end of the day, if you have something worthwhile to offer, you will get a good deal :)

HTH, Steve

• Advertisement

We, for example, typically provide free hosting for designers/developers who can demonstrate that they will sign-up business for us with their customers.

Steve, that's a good idea, never thought of that before.

Thanks guys, I was thinking that something along the lines of what Steve said might be the case, but was'nt sure.

And like you said Damien - FreeHost, you're all in business so deals can be negotiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Contact any of the hosts that you are interested in. Deals and arrangements are always possible, but each of us has a different setup, business and criteria

Yes - and I can understand why - thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭irlhost

Originally posted by buddy
    You may have misread my question or I may have badly worded it.

I don't want to know about being a Reseller or how it is done.

If someone does'nt want to be a Reseller - they don't want their own brand, but as they devlop/create sites for customers they advise the customer on which host to use - freehost, hosting365, blackknight etc etc.

Do any of these hosts offer anything to the developer to reccomend their site to their clients?

I mean this a general question, I don't want to have the rules broken here.

P.S. This may have been put in the wrong forum - apologies.
    We would all give you a good deal, just contact us. ;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement