Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of Anna Lindh

Options
  • 11-09-2003 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Article on rte.ie

Very unfortunate and something people from across all the political spectrum will morn. I suppose it is useless to speculate at this time whether they will cancel the referendum (which the prolly will) or what the motives of the person who performed this awful act where.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

just heard its going ahead on the 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

it seems so

Swedish euro vote to go ahead

I thought they would have delayed it out of mark of respect, they probabily would have open themselves up to accusations that they are really delaying 'cos they are going to lose. No win situation for them I suppose, wonder what the government's popularity in general is like in Sweden.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Friend of mine living in Sweden brought this to my attention this morning, this is what they had to say:
    Although the police are saying that there was no political
    motivation, we're voting on the Euro here on Sunday, and she --
    as part of the government -- was pro-euro. The European Union is
    not much loved here in Sweden, and the introduction of the euro
    -- if it comes -- is seen by some as further erosion of Swedish
    nationalism.
    adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

I was under the impression - maybe I'm wrong here - that recent polls had shown that the Yes side were leading, but that the Nos were catching up. Anyway, if that is the case, it might be assumed that this tragedy will result in the Yes side winning easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Originally posted by ReefBreak
    I was under the impression - maybe I'm wrong here - that recent polls had shown that the Yes side were leading, but that the Nos were catching up. Anyway, if that is the case, it might be assumed that this tragedy will result in the Yes side winning easily.

Why do you say that? A sympthay vote? I don't think people will vote for something they like or don't like out of sympathy, i wouldn't anyway.

• Advertisement

I agree with bloggs, I can't see the swedish people changing their mind on purely this basis. The no's have been ahead throughtout the race to my knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Yes, a sympathy vote. It may swing the undecided, and more importantly, it may get more people out to vote that wouldn't have otherwise.

And on a quick search:
    http://quickstart.clari.net/qs_se/webnews/wed/aa/Qsweden-euro.R1S0_DaQ.html

So I guess it's, as they say, all to play for.

I don't know I amn't convinced of the effect this will have either way, if they did win it would still be a hollow victory for them i should imagine, if they lost, it would be like 'quel suprise'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was a bit surpried they ha've'nt postponed but on the other hand why should they? PPl won't suddenly change thier mind but a few waverers might decide to vote.

Its the sort of thing we think does'nt happen in Europe (more a Third World thing) yet Olaf Plame, Aldo Moro, Pim Fortuyn, the President of Serbia Zoran Djindjic, Airy Neave, Ian Gow, Manuel Indiano are some of the elected killed by nuts and terrorists in the last 25 years.

Mike.

weren't we debating the in's and out's of Garda protection for our own politican's recentily .... but sure that would never happen on our quite little island .... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by MDR
    weren't we debating the in's and out's of Garda protection for our own politican's recentily .... but sure that would never happen on our quite little island .... :rolleyes:
    It might be a great case for no protection for them!:)

I think this tragedy will swing a lot of the undecideds as well. If it is a Yes vote because of this it'll be interesting to see the mood of the Swedish populace on the Euro in 3-4 years from now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Deeply sadden yesterday when I heard the news of the death of the Swedish foreign minister. She will be sadly missed by the people of Sweden who she had represented for the last 25 years or so.
    But her family will miss her more. And one can only imagine the deep heart ache and the immeasurable loss they are going through at the moment.
    She was a dedicated women both to her family and to the people she represented, and highly respected in the EU and around the world.
    May she rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

Does anybody think that her death could be accredited with an increase in the support for the YES campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thier seems to be concensus that the vote will be boosted by her death and that those "extra" voters are more likely to vote YES. Not quite sure why that should be the case mind you as it was looking like a fairly tight vote anyway.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

Polls published today in Sweden suggest for the first time that a majority (albeit a very very small one) support entry to the Euro.

Campaigning for the referendum ended on the announcement of Anna Lindh's death as a mark of respect.

Advertisement