Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Broker wont hand over insurance cert

Options
  • 11-09-2003 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Here's the story,

Took out a policy in my own name with Royal and Sun Alliance (sic) in July through a broker. Agreed to pay €90 deposit followed by 10 installments of €80. Fine.

Was Issued with a cert which expired on August 24th and I have been pestering him for a new cert since. The DD for €80 is going through for August and september.

Is there anything I can do to get the new cert? I am afraid of geetiing €60 fines for no insurance cert.

If I was procescuted could I sue the broker or insurance co?

Thanks

James

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

James

Get the ombudsman onto him straight away and get onto the Insurance heads of ireland, I am sure there is a central branch who monitor brokers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ombudsman wont deal with it, must go to insurance company direct.

Not very good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Ok has the DD for August already gone through or was there a delay in it? If you have not paid your first installment I think they have every right to with hold the cert.

What has the brooker said about this? What was his reasons for not giving you the cert?

Originally posted by kayos
    Ok has the DD for August already gone through or was there a delay in it? If you have not paid your first installment I think they have every right to with hold the cert.

What has the brooker said about this? What was his reasons for not giving you the cert?

August and September have gone thru ok.

He claims he does not have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if you go through a broker, its insurance company that issues the cert (not the broker). Thats the way it was with me, anyway....

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    August and September have gone thru ok.

He claims he does not have it!

Go to your bank and get a tatement showing the transactions (Make sure that you have sent the money to the right account). If you get this go back to the broker and give him hell:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Originally posted by TmB
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if you go through a broker, its insurance company that issues the cert (not the broker). Thats the way it was with me, anyway....

- Dave.

Nope some brokers can print and issue the certs themselves.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Checked statements and the money for the insurance went from the correct account.

The broker dude is a kind of fly by night guy who you can never find in. Is there an association that I can complain to or can I go to the company direct citing the brokers problem?

James

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

You might well be better off moving to a reputable broker - this guy sounds a little dodgy.

I recall a similar case of a broker (in my then home town) who was giving people the run-around with certs - turns out he was pocketing the money and printing his own phoney certs !

Advertisement