Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA mimicked by 'bored' teenagers

2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

police purchased donuts to eat donuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Originally posted by colinsky
    me thinks you're generalizing quite a bit too much based on one person (well, two) and one lawsuit.

Nah I'm generalizing based on the fact that this sh!t is getting old and getting on my t!ts. How many times have we heard this crap before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

One of these days, Radox are gonna bring a case against TakeTwo for promoting friendly fire incidents on their server. Then we're all screwed, their legal team can't possibly lose.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Oh dear. Here's an article on the debacle in the Irish Independent:

THE makers of the best-selling 'Grand Theft Auto' video game are being sued for $100m (€88.5m) after two teenagers claimed they were inspired to shoot a man dead while trying to copy violent scenes from the game.

The court case could decide the controversial debate over whether violent video and computer games do cause aggression in children.

'Grand Theft Auto' and its three sequels are British-designed and have topped the UK and US games charts, with more than 20m copies sold in the last five years.

In them, the player acts the role of a street thug with a cache of 40 different weapons.

But the brands are now being threatened with legal action in America. It focuses on the case of 14-year-old Joshua Buckner and his 16-year-old stepbrother William, from Newport, Tennessee, who shot dead 45-year-old Aaron Hamel and seriously injured 19-year-old Kimberly Bede on June 25 this year.

The two boys told police they had taken a .22 calibre rifle from their home and gone to a nearby interstate highway to shoot at cars and trucks in an attempt to recreate images from 'Grand Theft Auto.'

Mr Hamel, a nurse, was killed as he drove home to Knoxville, Tennessee.

Miss Bede was seriously injured and left with eight shrapnel fragments in her pelvis. The boys pleaded guilty to reckless homicide, aggravated assault and reckless endangerment.

But because of their ages, they were sentenced to indefinite detention as juveniles. (© Independent News Service)

Right then. Whatever happened to people taking responsibility for their actions. e.g.: the kids and their parents. I don't recall a moment in GTA3 where it told me try this for real. Must've missed that moment.

Any chance we'll get a balanced debate about it? Or is the world full of morons, as I suspect
    :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Any chance you have a URL for that. And/or the name of the person who wrote the piece. I'd be interested in contacting them directly to make a statement of the issue, and raise some very valid points which have appeared on this thread with them. I'm kinda surprised the independant is taking this kind of sensationalist view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

that would be handy indeed, or u could just direct him to the registers article on it. I think they put very well.

Advertisement