Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nforce sound and digital speakers - help needed

• 11-09-2003 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I have a Shuttle XPC SN45g with Nforce2 and onboard sound and a set of Boston Accoustics speakers BA7500 that came with my gateway pc a few years back. All the speakers connet to the back of the subwoofer and the only connections for the PC are a green plug from the digital input on the sub and a black plug from the analog rear input on the sub.
    I have tried all sorts of setups in the nvidia configuration applet and plugging the connectors in various combinations but can't get any sound from my front speakers.
    Can anybody suggest a config to try or are my speakers just not compatible with the onboard sound?
    Speakers work great through my old SB live card but I need the PCI slot for a wireless card.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Dont bother with the digital output, thats what i did use the 2 analog cables like you used to with your old card (presuming thats how you had it setup) I have BA 7500's too, sound is fine so I never bothered inequiring as to why i can only get digital in 2 speakers.
    Please excuse my bad spelling and explanation, I've been drinking you see.....
    Cheers,
    Dev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Cheers for the reply BF.
    Would you mind idiot(me)proofing this for me and confirm the following?
    You have pink, green and blue sockets on your PC.
    You have a black and a green jack for your speakers.
    You are using the NVidia sound.

Which plugs go in which sockets?
    How have you got the NVidia driver thingy configured? I thought I had tried everything. Digital output on/off. Analogue output on/off. Dolby surround and digital on/off. etc. etc.

I was starting to look at new speakers but disregarding the fact these are only 4.1 anything of comparable quality and power looks to be around the €200 mark or more.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Right, should have explained better last night but i couldn't think....
    I have Nvidia sound but i dont use it, I use my audigy2 BUT i have some experience with Nvidia sound.
    I know the sockets your talking about, they use that standard colour code on most sound cards.
    And finally yes i do have both analog cables with the green and black jacks.

*** i cant remember which colour means which green socket is definitly front speakers and i think pink is rear and blue is usually mic out. Thing is generally your given more outputs i.e a pci bracket which you plug into your mobo. Which would have the likes of an optical out and front and rear speakers and spdif and the likes, what kinda mobo do you have?

But once you figure which are your front and rear outputs (and its configured to 4 speakers in the nvidia control panel) just plug your 2 analog cables with the green and black jacks into them and you should be flying.

I must say im a big fan of these speakers the sub is pure thunder BUT if your looking personally I'd go with logitech Z-680's the best aural sex you'll ever have (for under 400 squid that is).

Gimme more info on your Mobo and im sure we can get this sorted for ya.
    Cheers Dev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Thanks again M8.
    Mobo is a Shuttle FN45
    Got this response from BA tech support:

The BA7500GG was designed and packaged with Gateway computers that featured
    a Gateway specific Sound Blaster digital card. This system has not been
    tested with other sound cards for compatibility and you may have to contact
    the sound card manufacture for specific set up options that may be unique to
    their card. In most cases you can get the system to work with digital cards
    but not with 4-channel gaming. For Dolby Digital sound make sure your sound
    card is outputting an AC-3 encoded digital signal and all of the sound card
    processing is turned off. In this set up the rear speakers will engage
    during surround scenes of Dolby encoded movies.

Fitting the black plug in the blue socket gives me left and right surround signals to the rear speakers but no amount of tinkering seems to give me sound from the front speakers. The black plug in the green socket gives me front channels through the rear speakers.

At this point, and after reading the mail from BA I think I might just buy some new speakers, Creative have some good deals on their site for Inspire 5300s, and sell the BAs and the soundcard to recoup some of my losses.

Advertisement