Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has Netsources bad PR had an influence on you?

• 11-09-2003 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭

With all the bad press Netsource are atracting....

How many customers have or are in the process of leaving?

Also how many new customers were going to sign but are now taking there business elsewhere?

How has Netsources PR influenced you? 45 votes

I am happy to stay with Netsource
    0% 0 votes
    I have/am left/leaving Netsource
    48% 22 votes
    I am going to sign up to Netsource.
    44% 20 votes
    I was, but now will not sign to Netsource
    6% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I'm about to quit their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭²°°³webkev²°°³

from what im noticing.. they've limited every port except http 80,
    absolutely useless for the type of work that i do :(

i'll be leaving them in 2 months and try esat or see whats being said about IBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by ²°°³webkev²°°³
    from what im noticing.. they've limited every port except http 80,
    absolutely useless for the type of work that i do :(

i'll be leaving them in 2 months and try esat or see whats being said about IBB

Are you one of the throttled?

Don't see this at all?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭²°°³webkev²°°³

not anymore, im on 10:1 contention.. but only http 80 downloads fast, all other applications (including FTP which im using to download linux apps) have something seriously wrong with them..and no download goes over a few kilobytes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 NotImpressed

i was going to go with them but definitely not now.
    If they were transparent about throttling etc i might think about it but its too little too late as far as im concerned.
    MAy they rot in hell.
    I'll also be reccomending to my mates to stay well clear of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭KILLER.BEE

i am with NotImpressed.... i was going to go with them but definitely not now.

if i had to pay for 512-128 up/down and to know that will go and throttling etc .. what can i say EIRCON forgive me ...

and as for Netsource if you or looking in ... update your site and let them ppl about what your doing

e.g SOHO
    ** min. requirement applies *512k/128k Broadband access

A fixed IP address

2-month rolling contract term

No download limit but you maye be throttled

Domain Name Registration @ E10

One free POP3 e-mail address

Installation Options:

Onsite: € 165.00
    Self Install: € 81.81
    Monthly Access: € 45.00+E10*
    Annual Access: € 495.00
    (receive last month free)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

I was thinking about getting Netsource as an alternative to what I have now. I need a static IP for work, and only that and the business offerings from Eircom / ESAT offer that, so naturally I was going to get the cheapest one.

Definitely not now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by Serbian
    I was thinking about getting Netsource as an alternative to what I have now. I need a static IP for work, and only that and the business offerings from Eircom / ESAT offer that, so naturally I was going to get the cheapest one.

Definitely not now though.

Just got Netsource! Downloads not bad - but not quite as fast as an equivalent Eircom IStream I also have access to. Pings are 170ish which means I wont be able to game much :(
    But it is a relief not to have to watch the usage on line. I'm sure NS will sort speeds out.... I hope.

About the static Ip - Eircom charge a once off fee of only 50 euros for a static ip with their home dsl product. A domain name will cost all of 8 dolars per year from namezero.

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

So far to this Netsource have lost 11 customers. This is a large figure for a smaller provider like netsource.

Assuming that they all were on the SOHO package

@ 45+10=€55 per month

Over 11 Users (11*55) = 605 per month

Over a year that works out at 7260.

And this is only so far. We have not taken into account people on higher tariffs. Users who have not yet voted. And users who come nowhere near boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Originally posted by James Melody
    So far to this Netsource have lost 11 customers. This is a large figure for a smaller provider like netsource.
    I was going to go with Netsource, but I was pretty annoyed by the domain name monthly fee, so I went with Esat Business in the end.
    I still told other people I know about Netsource when asked for advice about BB, but since all the negative stuff on boards I've warned people off it.
    So you also have to factor in all the people who ask boards users for advice on these matters. That would be a lot of people, I'd imagine, hence more potential Netsource customers lost.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by James Melody

By all means chase away the leechers - each 30G downloader you get rid off will make 48 other fair usage users on that exchange a little happier.

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Got online within 4 1/2 days. No problems. Ill get back to the board when they cap me!

MM

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So far no bothers still. I've downloaded a bit in the first couple of weeks but nothing excessive. I wonder how much this poll reflects the general feeling at large since those people pi$$ed off are more likely to actively participate, as well as be the ones targeted in the first place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 samster

I am very unhappy with the behavior of Netsource - I am on their SoHo package and have been throttled. I had assumed the strange variance in download speeds was due to poor network management... some notification would have been nice. Even if not explicitly required by the contract. Three colleages were planning to join Netsource on SoHo and SME packages. They are now investigating Esat and even (gasp) Eircom. PR disaster is right.

Suffice to say, I was just on the phone to Esat business. I would move to their intermediate business package immediately if my exchange was enabled. Shame. Looks like it will be Eircom or a slow (and viciously expensive) leased line.

Out of interest Samster, how much were you downloading a month, week, day.....

I know it is uncapped....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 samster

Probably over 20 Gb a month. I didn't really keep track. Several people used it. Wishful thinking that an Irish ISP would allow this. Even if they advertised no cap.

I had high hopes for Netsource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

you're missing an option in that poll:

I went for another operator, and now I'm glad I didn't go with Netsource.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

It seems to me that the behaviour of the moderators on this forum is to quell dissent in favour of Netsource.

I think they're great, and no, i don't work for them! My thread in praise of Netsource http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114978 has been closed by moderators. Why, well I can only assume, can't I!

I wonder if the votes above are actually accurate! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

To the topic question...nope, personally think the service is great.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

think their policy to customer service and just general behaviour is disgraceful-am in the process of leaving myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Was gonna go with Netsource (2 mth contract was ideal), but I've changed my mind. If this is the sort of messing around they're gonna be up to, it just isn't worth it :(

I'm currently awaiting an IBB LOS test :)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Personally, I haven't had any problems with Netsource. Always get good download speeds and haven't been throttled yet. Maybe thats cos I'm on the Portlaoise exchange and there may not be too many others contending the service.

However, I will be leaving Netsource in protest at the treatment of others on these boards. Come on ESAT, get that Portlaoise exchange enabled!!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I can forsee myself leaving as well....

I appreciate what they are trying to do by capping people, but they are doing it the wrong way. Its simple, they offered and uncapped service and they are not adhering to their part of the deal.

And if someone corrects me by saying "don't you mean throttle customers", i will go after them!!!

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I can forsee myself leaving as well....

I appreciate what they are trying to do by capping people, but....

Hey - I've been on Netsource for 3 days now - have downloaded half a gig and I've been capped to 22K as well!!

Well actually - I now believe that Netsource were telling the truth and they are not capping after all - and its just that their network setup is just cr@p.

I have access to NS and an equivalent Eircom IStream - I can see the two machines via WinXp Remote Desktop - so I can run same download on both at the same time (@10 PM)- and The Netsource is HALF the speed of IStream. I get aprox 130 to 230 kbit download. Eircom is mininum 300 and up to 400 (I use dumeter). I have the screen shots.

And dont even mention the pings (typically 200ish).

NS: Blanch exchange.
    Eircom: Tallaght exchange.

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

"Hey - I've been on Netsource for 3 days now - have downloaded half a gig and I've been capped to 22K as well"

I have been on Netsource now 2 days, and have found the speeds fluctuating.

I don't think I have even downloaded half a gig about 100mb so far, mostly windows updates and some odd mp3s.

It's funny and Im not sure if it is throttling but I have noticed that it goes from 54kb slowly down to over 25kb-30kb and just holds at that speed? Its funny but i feel like im losing out on 24kb at times..Other times the speed has been excellent and I've downloaded a 5mb file in a minute.

Now being capped is AWFUL, especially when you are paying for an Uncapped service.

Also, on the Letter that netsource sent me regarding my log in details etc it said my "planned connection date" was the 19th of September. I was online a week before hand. My point being, maybe I am not registered with whatever system is in place? Maybe to appreciate the full speed I have to wait until the 19th?

This is just a thought and I know if I am capped I will leave NS. No questions asked.

Originally posted by XPThink
    "Hey - I've been on Netsource for 3 days now - have downloaded half a gig and I've been capped to 22K as well"
    I have been on Netsource now 2 days, and have found the speeds fluctuating.

I don't think I have even downloaded half a gig about 100mb so far, mostly windows updates and some odd mp3s.

It's funny and Im not sure if it is throttling but I have noticed that it goes from 54kb slowly down to over 25kb-30kb and just holds at that speed? Its funny but i feel like im losing out on 24kb at times..Other times the speed has been excellent and I've downloaded a 5mb file in a minute.
    This is just a thought and I know if I am capped I will leave NS. No questions asked.

I wasnt being totally serious when I said I was capped. It seems that this is the normal speed that NetSource is able to provide.
    I've tried it at several times (after 1am it gets a bit better - but still not great)
    I was suggesting that it is so slow(as dsl goes) that people might be mistaking it for a throttling.

I know its all down to contention. My tests with the Eircom vs Netsource at the same time - shows me that the uncapped NS DSL just isnt going to match Eircoms capped offering speed wise.

I'll wait a month or so - but for the price - after using istream - the speed I'm getting with NS just simply isnt worth it-

-I cannot watch streaming video without stutter and delays.
    I end up choosing ISDN speed rather than DSL (that really anoys me as I gave up ISDN for this)
    -I cannot do remote desktop any better than 57K dialup.
    -I cannot play games online (200+ pings suck)
    -I cannot use kazaa for fear of nasty letters from NS or from being throttled.
    -I have to use a third party Newsgroups feed.

maybe Eircoms 3 gigs is enough...?

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

Ozmo

I use Kazaa and I have no fears about using it. I haven't tried video feeds yet and being able to video cam with my mates in the states and Uk is important. I'll try it tonight cos I havent gotten around to doing it yet.

I am not a gamer so Pings don't really bother me but I know people who game and it is important to have a fast connection.

Download speed is what I am interested in, and if the level of 25kb-30kb persists for the next month or so, ill get onto netsource and give them hell.

I like my webpages to load up fast. Anyway I have no need to complain yet. I know you said you were not being capped, but I would really like to know why the speeds are holding at 30kb. Its interesting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I can't see why they'd move you to the heavy downloaders playpen after 3 days. It may be your line. If your line passed for RADSL that only means that your line is capable of at least 256K, you may not be capable of getting 50Kb/s downloads. If you're getting high speeds some of the time but not others then it could be just a little exchange contention. I get speeds of 55Kb/s most of the time, but if there are a couple of other ppl downloading at the exchange then my speeds can drop to 30 or 40Kb/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

I've been with NetSource since the beginning.

The speed is brilliant especially recently.

The customer service is brilliant. Any time I call them with a query they follow it up straight away and even call me back in the evening with an update.

I recommed them to friends and neighbours and my golf partner is getting connected tomorrow.

Looks like the gamers and download nutters are getting their comeuppence and the rest of us can enjoy the broadband.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by XPThink I have been on Netsource now 2 days, and have found the speeds fluctuating.

2 days ??

What makes you think just because you got broadband then every single download and web page will come in at top speed ?

Don't you know anything about the net before start throwing your hands in the air ? MANY web servers only DELIVER their data at far less than DSL speeds. many web sites are hosted on slow servers. Many sites are incredibly busy. Not all but many.
    Now being capped is AWFUL, especially when you are paying for an Uncapped service.

It'd be funny if it weren't so rediculous :confused:

I am on NetSource for months now. I'm writing this as I browser and listen to CD quality streaming music on MusicMatch and my speed monitor graph shows me varying from 350 to 490 as I write.

Don't listen to the whinges of the megadownloaders and don't jump to scream 'capped' when you are really experiencing the normal ups and downs of the internet.

"Don't you know anything about the net before start throwing your hands in the air ?"

Of course I know about the Net. I know that not every single download will come in at top speed.

I don't agree with people downloading 30-40gigs a month.

I spent two years in America and caps were laughable. I know someone in this thread or another thread said that in Sweden that capping is unheard of.

I have no complaints about Netsource. I have being saying it all along. Until they do something to me that p!sses me off then I'll complain.

Im just happy to have DSL and not a slow sh!itty connection.

I should have elaborated on my statement about the speeds fluctuating. You are right however chill.

Ok - can someone tell me what the issue is here.

Lets play spot the difference.

I have access to Two DSL lines (one via remote desktop)

I downloaded a file (on netsources own server to give them an edge...)

Here are the results:

Netsource (Blanchardstown) - Eircom (Tallaght Exchange)
    netsource_030915_10pm.gifeircom_030915_10pm.gif

Both taken at the same time(Sept 15th 10pm) on the same file.
    Both 512 dsl 48:1 contention. The line at the top is the theoritical maximum for dsl.

* Is this what everyone else with netsource is experiencing ?

ozmo.

ps. To try yourself -
    http://www.netsource.ie/bigfile.zip
    And I used dumeter for timing.

“Roll it back”

Originally posted by ozmo

* Is this what everyone else with netsource is experiencing ?

Just to note - I have had Netsource now only since last Thursday and I've only downloaded 539mb - So I am not being punished.

Its been like this all the time since I got it.

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

Lets play spot the difference.
    What about distance from the exchange ? What about quality of your line ? wiring inside the premises ? have you investigated these ? Can you say definitively that they are identical ? Have you been capped by NS on one line ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

hey chill - for a fast newbie you sure know a lot about broadband - wouldn't work for a telco would you?????

Buzz

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Tried the bigfile.zip there myself and dumeter had me at a steady 54k/sec. It's good I'm near an exchange too but the speeds have generally been great so far (bar some P2P stuff but the other end is to blame for that). Sure, pings are a bit crap but I'm still happy.
    I look in fear over my shoulder for the Throttler, but he's not annoying me...yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

thats a good comparison ozmo, I've left netsource and just today ordered the eircom package

Note to self: stay away from NS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Think I need to inform you's

If you are put on the 10:1 contention, you are done so by Netsource on their network (not at the exchange, the 48:1 contention still stands there) So its EXTRA contention. Now you only get put on if you A) download over 1Gig a day (thats just under 1/4 of the lines daly bandwidth) B) If you are on longer than 1 month (the screw you on the second month)

Now they have done nothing with ports, they have put all the "heavy downloaders" on to the 10:1 connection IE: The top 40 bandwidth users on a 2mb line. So all you get is about 2k a second, if your lucky. Also HTTP takes priority over some other protocalls if I remember right. So it is ok to look a webpages **SOMETIMES**.

I'll be signing off their service my-self next month if they haven't gotten this sorted out by then

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by sutty

Now they have done nothing with ports, they have put all the "heavy downloaders" on to the 10:1 connection IE: The top 40 bandwidth users on a 2mb line. So all you get is about 2k a second, if your lucky. Also HTTP takes priority over some other protocalls if I remember right. So it is ok to look a webpages **SOMETIMES**.

I'll be signing off their service my-self next month if they haven't gotten this sorted out by then

Just a small correction, Netsource are applying the contention in sequence with, not on top of the ALT contention (the 48:1).

You see there are 4 places that you can suffer from contention:

1) On Eircoms DSL network, as the VC gets routed to the regional ADSL pop.
    2) On the ALT from the regional ADSL pop to Netsource HQ (this is where 48:1 applies).
    3) In Netsources network.
    4) From Netsource to the Internet at large.

The reason they are doing this is because the ALT contention (2 above) isn't kicking in at all, nobody seems to have suffered from the contention from the ALT yet.

Where people where feeling contention seem to be from Netsource to the Internet at large (4 above).

So Netsource seem to have applied contention to the top 10% of downloaders in their Network (3 above), in order to ensure that there is no contention for the other 90% of users from Netsource to the Internet (4 above).

Originally posted by chill
    What about distance from the exchange ? What about quality of your line ? wiring inside the premises ? have you investigated these ? Can you say definitively that they are identical ? Have you been capped by NS on one line ?

Eircom (Tallaght) DSL is fine and fast all the time. Pings are consistant and low (Right now to boards: 71ms,73ms,69ms,65ms)

Netsource (Blanch) DSL is not as fast as that connection.
    Since that posting yesterday - I have noticed that at 2AM - I can get a 340 download. also at 1:30 onwards - pings go great - but its too late to anything useful at 2 in the morning.

I'm just reporting what I see.

I really want to say some nice stuff about NS - The NS blokes I spoke to were so helpful. The installation was very quick and easy and the welcome pack was nice. But I am paying a good deal more than IStream or UTV - so I expected a little better - or at least equal performance wise.

ps. Just checked and Pings are great at the moment (1:30 am ) Better than Eircom!
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=32ms,36ms,31ms,39ms

If only the service was like this a few hours before I'm off to bed....

I'm sticking around though for a bit to see if they can get their stuff sorted. I am ex- clubi.ie subscriber for many years (old netsource name) and they were always the faster internet providor when they were operational .

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

I'm on the priory exchange and I am quite happy now. My speeds are getting faster and more reliable.

Like I said, don't care about pings, its the downloading speed that I want. Im happy with Netsource. Not downloaded much cos Im a bit paranoid......don't know why really.....

Live streaming can be good and bad at times but that is from a website so I can understand if 10000 people are accessing it at the same time.

But its great to access pages quickly and to be able to download quickly. Im going home tonight when I get back from work to download myself stupid!

:D

Going to try remote desktop tomorrow from work. Great.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Eircom (Tallaght) DSL is fine and fast all the time. Pings are consistant and low (Right now to boards: 71ms,73ms,69ms,65ms)
    I'd imagine it's quite lonely on that exchange. That's NTL country :)

Advertisement