Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heres summit that i need explained

Options
  • 11-09-2003 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

Hi guys eircom have gottten back to me for an engineer to come out to test the line and equipment for broadband

WAY HAY and all that, but this is what there saying is the problem, anyone care to explain

"low insulation to earth on one leg"

havent a clue what that means, any help would be appreciated just so as i know whats what when they call around

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Well, the 'leg' they are referring to is one of the two copper conductors into your premises for the phone line. Low insulation to earth means that it is conducting to earth to a certain extent. For DSL, that would mean that part of the signal would be conducted to earth, making it harder to maintain a connection. This could be caused by water or a line tap that was badly isolated perhaps. Line taps are where the pair was tapped at an earlier stage to connect a user and when removed, wasn't done properly.
    I am very surprised that they would tell you this. When I was getting a line failure constantly, they would never tell me why even though I bitched and complained constantly.
    They should be able to find out roughly where the fault lies with test equipment and hopefully fix it for you.
    Best of luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

kinda surprised myself to be honest with you, but as everyone says when you get to the higher ups in Eircom they will help you all they can

Thanks for the explanaion IWB and hopefully this will solve my problem and i can wave goodbye to 56K forever

Not getting hopes up just yet

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

It took me three months and I finally got it by having it installed elsewhere and grabbing it wirelessly. My line was never going to qualify apparently, no matter how loudly I shouted:D

Advertisement