Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help!!! College Deferral Letter

• 11-09-2003 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I have decided to defer my college place until next year so I rang up the Admissions office this morning and they told me to write a letter explaning the reasons why I have decided to defer the course. I have accepted the course already and it is really late so I am not sure if they will accept it. I have no good reason why I want to defer it and I have to have the letter in in the next couple of hours because I have to get it in by tommorrow. Any Ideas what I should write?

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

YOu want to go abroad to improve your langauges.

Personal problems that need attending to, eg a eldery granny.

YOu have serious financial strains in the family and you have to work for a year.

Most people use the first one, and it is quite late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The first one would be good if it wasn't so late but the other two are excellent. How long should the letter be and what else should I write?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Originally posted by Sangre
    Personal problems that need attending to, eg a eldery granny.

YOu have serious financial strains in the family and you have to work for a year.
    any of the above 2 will work, or something simular, but it does not mean that they will accept it.

Advice, explain but not in to much detail, give the reason not the excuse. make it sound like the letter is just a formality and that u will be taking the year off anyways but dont seem like an ass also ;) Its all about balance. The best lies are plausable but with very little detail, belivable but not memrable and so on. (cant spell by the way)

P.S: Why r u defering anyways?? maybe the truth will do (prob not though)

I have done a rough letter which needs serious sorting out as it is very bad. I am really bad at English and haven't got much experience in writing letters. So, could someone please try and sort it out in the next few minutes.

BTW it doesn't have to be anything like the letter I have attached because mine isn't very believable.

PS the real reason is that I am really young and don't think I'm ready to start college. Its a bit late so I don't know if that would work but feel free to write a letter with that reason if you wish.

Please Help!

Thanks.

Don't mind the title!

Dear Mr …., or To Whom It May Concern:

My name is …………… and I am to be attending my first year of Computer Science Degree (Course number here) at your college. Unfortunately I am hoping to be able to defer for this year. Over the past week some long term family problems have been developing that will make it extremely for me to attend and study this year. I am afraid that I would jeopardise my future and I am hoping that I would get your support and advice in how to solve this problem. I am fully aware of the lateness of this letter and of the impossible situation that this might pose for my situation but the extreme nature of the problems I am facing are leaving me with little alternative.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and I look forward to meeting with you and hopefully coming to an agreement that will both solve my dilemma and also not put strain on the college administration.

Sincerely

…………….
    I was not sure how to finish it off but maybe someone will help u out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Dear Mr …., or To Whom It May Concern:

My name is …………… and I have been offered a place in first year of the Computer Science Degree (Course number here) at (college here). Unfortunately I am hoping to be able to defer for this year. Over the past week some long term family problems have been developing that will make it extremely for me to attend and study this year. I am afraid that I would jeopardise my future were I to attend this year.

I am fully aware of the lateness of this letter and of the impossible situation but the difficult nature of the problems I am facing leave me with little alternative.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I look forward to meeting with you and hopefully coming to an agreement that will both solve my dilemma and not put strain on the college.

Thanks in advance

Yours Sincerely

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

hmmmm

Thanks for the help lads but unfortunately I had the letter sent before these replies were posted. But I will type out my letter to see what you think even though your letters probably would have been better.

Dear Vincent,

I have decided to defer my place in DIT until next year. The course is a degree in computer science (FT228) and I have already accepted it. I am very sorry that i left it so late but the following facts were not know until recently.

My father is self-employed and his business is doing badly at the moment. I feel for this reason that it would be more appropriate for me to work for a year in order to ease financial strain on the family.

I understand this is a late request and I hope you will regard it sypathetically.

yours sincerely,
    eireboy.

After seen your letters it makes me laugh looking at my letter but i was in such a rush writing it that I didn't think. For example, I wrote "I have decied to defer" when I should have wrote "I am hoping to defer".

The whole letter looks terrible now but do you think I have any chance?

Advertisement