Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radeon 9800 128 or 256?

• 11-09-2003 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

righto, upgrady time. sorry for the enormous amount of these posts, but i wandered back through all the other ones and couldnt really find an answer...
    anyway: which's better? i assume the 256mb version is but is that RAM slower? or should i just get a 5900 ultra 256mb?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

5900 lmao get one of those if ur deaf or like playin hl2 like an interactive silde show 30fps! *** if ure on a buget get the 128mb but if not go all out with the 256mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

i thought the 5900 ultra was really quiet? its the 5800 thats loud as a truckload of screamin..uhh...loud people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

5900 ultra ain't loud at all. Though looking at the news today oh hl2, the 9800 pro is the better card to get, the ram is the same on the 128 and 256 models speed wise.

Unless nvidia have something up their sleeves, it's gonna be an ati christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I would go for the 9800pro 128mb version. My friend has it and its class. Also as stated above it looks like HL2 will run far better with that card then the nivida5900.

Also u will save your self money going for the 128mb then the 256mb, and i dont think the 256 is all that needed for games. Its a bit of a overkill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

i thought the 5900 ultra was really quiet? its the 5800 thats loud as a truckload of screamin..uhh...loud people...

Correct.

I hate people who go on about how noisy the card is and having never actually heard it. They probably heard that the 5800 was noisy and like an idiot assumed that all FX cards are noisy, even ones with passive cooling!

I saw someone post that the 5600 is very noisy, when in fact its quieter than most other cards (9800/GF4TI etc etc)

As for 128 v 256... Well if you can afford it, Id say go for 256, also the ram speed is slighty higher on the 256mb version, so better frame rates, but only on resolutions of 1600x1400 and higher.

Possibly better for overclocking too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement