Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Switch to Kilometers next year

Options
  • 11-09-2003 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Does anyone know what date next year the speed signs are being changed from miles to Kilometers. I am thinking about new cars and whether or not they will be required to have the speedometer & odometer etc in KMs when the change takes effect legally.

Thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I believe the proposed date is 1 January 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

most come with both marked on them anyhew.

on a more important note you get to place yourself in trouble by saying:

"Sorry officer, i thought the sign meant miles per hour!!! "

oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, lol, far too easily entertained.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

They should have been changed ages ago. It's odd that speed signs are miles whilst direction signs are kilometres!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

First Euros then Kilometers... this country is gone to the dogs.. Give us back our punts & miles...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I believe some manufacturers give you the option now of ordering a new car here with a km speedo. I know BMW do, and I'm sure others do too.

I'd imagine that older cars with mph speedos won't be required to change them, but it's gonna make things interesting for second-hand buyers for a few years :p

• Advertisement

mmmm maybe its just me but I always see that most cars have both on them.

I've a 91 starlet and it has both. Seen a 97 almera with the same, 98 honda civic same, few vans, even older mini's got both.

I really don't see the big deal aboout the speedos, you can always buy some stickers for the important ones. Did that with my motorbike when i had it, the speedo was only in KMs so stuck on the important ones, ya know, 30,60, 100 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Are they switching to driving on the right as well?:)

/ I'll be quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

most cars have mph & kph on the speedo, but the odometer is always in miles afaik.

rymus :

First Euros then Kilometers... this country is gone to the dogs.. Give us back our punts & miles...

ah yeah, and give us back our pounds, ounces, shillings and pence too. they all made sense!

"Who keeps the metric system down?, we doooooo, we dooooo"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

you'll get used to it in no time. I drove a jap import civic for two years and u just get to know what the speed limits are (roughly) and drive like that. Eg, 100kph=60mph. Having said that how is this all going to fit in with the way cops are currently pulling people for doin 31mph in a 30 zone? Its hard be acurate when ur changing from kph to mph or when u have to look at the small kph numbers on your speedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Most cars already have both - although kilometers are usually in small print.

Apparently, dealerships will be selling conversion stickers next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Didnt I read here or on the Transport board that Famous Seamus will make the change in June 2004?

Will the road signs be changed over night/weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Imposter
    Are they switching to driving on the right as well?:)

Right as in correct - yeah - bring it on :cool:

One more British Imperial claw hacked off :cool:

be able to get some tasty imports then, I know some people don't mind having the wheel on the inside of the road, but I don't think I'd like that. Don't see that happening, ever tho... well maybe in years and years and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Originally posted by unkel
    Right as in correct - yeah - bring it on :cool:

One more British Imperial claw hacked off :cool:

Cool, looks like we're on a roll here. How about replacing English with Irish as the main spoken language too?

Advertisement