Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening ports

Options
  • 11-09-2003 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

Right, sounds like an easy topic, but i'm sure it ain't, how do i open ports on a college's router from a standard student login so we can all play online with pings of like 7!? or is it not possible? surely some of you guys will know to either tell me to quit dreaming or how to help! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Should ye not be studying?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

studying / public server rape / whats the difference?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

ahh yeah. the old, lets bypass the firewall in college in order to play games all day when we should be studying. its not possible. unless you know the new student admin trainee guy and somehow bribe him with booze.

on the other hand, who needs the internet when you have a perfectly good lan situation in place already. 5 hour cossacks game? no problem. quick medal of honour deathmatch? no problem. and the bonus is, the people you're playing are in the same room so you can laugh in their face if you win.

or you could study!!!

adnans

ah yeah, we had 10v10 CS matches all day every day last year (how the **** did we still pass?!?!), just figured some online gaming would be sweet, and it would let those w/out BB who are in clans to at least play with a good ping for once, and in same room as teammates, (When ya cant afford a headset thats a good thing!)

this is almost like instant messaging! lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

You might be able to tunnel your traffic through port 80 or something to a computer outside the firewall, but then your pings are dependant on the connection of that computer, and if the comp had decent bandwidth then you wouldn't need to play at college.

EDIT: actually, there are services that you can sign up to that will tunnel your traffic for you through a fast server. A lot of ppl use it for getting around the kazaa block in college. Don't know if anyone ever tried it for games tho.

Do game servers let you set the port numbers? If they do you may be able to fool the firewall into thinking it's just an ftp session or something.

• Advertisement

thanks pinky, i can call you pinky right? LOL! sorry! please dont hit me! =)

the port 80 suggestion was something one of my mates suggested, and we will indeed try it!

we use a program called sock2http (or something similar) to use kazaa in college (we have to sign up to a certain soc for name and p/w first), would you happen to know if that particular prog would be able to allow online gaming?

Advertisement