Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4k XC

• 11-09-2003 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I have not yet seen a calendar for this year, normally the first extensive one is in the Irish runner at Christmas, half way through the season. To Dublin athletic boards credit they put one in todays Herald, none on the Atletics Ireland site nearing the start of the season but that is another point.

Last year only 4k teams were sent to the world cross. The 4k event is seen as the best hope short term for the mens team and the women won medals over that distance the year before. So clearly we are more competitive over that distance at the moment. How many 4k races are on this year? Well there was only one last year. It was not much better before with two until the 4k at Ras na hEireann was merged with the trials/nationals. I don't blame the Ras organisers as they did what was best for their race but AAI in a move that resulted in less work for them and less races for everyone else. I not saying two is enough to start with but surely one is far to little.

I know people have views about whether there should be a 4k but it is here and I don't think the IAAF change. More people did the 4k this year than the 12k, so why is there only one 4k in the year. I am sure it would be well supported, look at the Ras. Should Dublin or Cork boards (two biggest) have a 4k champs or a smaller county have an open race as there championships. Should the Novice be changed to 4k, good for beginners. Move it to after Christmas so suit middle distance runner and not take away from races before Christmas. I think in addition to the Novice, Inters and seniors would be best. Have just regional and nationals to start with, to gauge interests, county level later if the interest is there.

I know it is the traditionalists that are against this "medaling" with the traditional cross-country race distance that are more likely the ones organising races, so the chance of a 4k being on the cards is slim. The BHAA have a whole league but I expect the chances of one race being changed to 4k is slim. I expect no race organiser wants to make the move, "it has alway been 4 miles, why change". Cross-country has changed, you can win a world title at 4k, the 4k was the biggest race of the year. So why was there only one last year, will there be more this year, I for one wish there would be.

Advertisement