Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Ireland beat Switzerland?

• 11-09-2003 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭

After Russia trouncing Switzerland it's going to be make or break, Ireland must win to stand a chance of even the playoffs.

Do you think they'll do it?

Will Ireland beat Switzerland? 35 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 35 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

would like to see them win, but unfortunately i think the swiss will win on the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i think they can beat them. depends on the injury situation at the time i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

should do :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I think Ireland will win the game, especially if the swiss play as they did during the week but as was already said, it does depend on injuries et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

Fingers crossed they'll do the business :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll go for a 2-2 draw.

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

very very doubtful with the irish blackhole in the centre of the park.

2-2 would mean that for Ireland to be runners up, russia would have to lose to Georgia.

I am going for a hard fought 0-1, would love to have scotland in the play offs, if they get there, would at least be a bit of fun in the game and no real threat of violence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

2-2 seems likely ,im sure during the game there will be a valiant Irish charge but the Swiss will hold on for point or win.

But never know doesnt have the same buzz as the Holland match about it for some reason ,i **** myself last summer over that game :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Devilman

I dont think they'll do it, we dont have the strength in the centre of midfield to do enough IMO. I think the best we can hope for is a draw..and then pray that we get some luck from the other game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i'd love to get england in the play offs, landsdowne would never have experienced a better atmosphere in a long long time. spain would be a second choice, a chance to get revenge.

however i feel we can hammer the swiz 2-3 nil. there overhyped and a very average side as russia proved, who are an average side themselves. i dont know why everyone is so pessimistic, typical irish attitude, we go in to EVERY game as underdogs.

this should have been a handy group, no big guns whatsoever. mainly its down to mc carthy ruining it. however kerr has slipped up once or twice also. at least a bad result for kerr is a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

however i feel we can hammer the swiz 2-3 nil. there overhyped and a very average side as russia proved, who are an average side themselves. i dont know why everyone is so pessimistic

Probably because they have already beaten us at Landsdown.
    Russia and the swiss may be very average sides but the current Irish team have been below average of late. I Hope its only a temporary blip but as you said we are struggling in a very easy Group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

how we struggle against russia and the swiss is beyond me when we finished joint top against holland and portugal just 2 years ago, 2 world class sides.

keano is the difference, (roy) those people who say we dont miss keano, and dont need him are wrong. still with duff, robbie keane, o'shea, carr, given and finnan, ireland shouldnt have had to break sweat in this group.

for all the pessimists, weve gone 9 games under kerr unbeaten, swiss are on a low and were on a high having held the 3rd best team in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

keano is the difference, (roy) those people who say we dont miss keano,

Are you sure its not the absence of quinn staunton or kelly that make the difference. Surely Ireland was not a one man team in qualifing for the last world cup.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

no WAY,
    ireland are about as inventive going forward
    as liverpool,

only goals they score are donkey goals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Billy Turdhed

You know the joke.... David Blaine gives up because he cannot get a record for being 44 days in a box doing nothing....Emile Heskey holds that record... 2 years doin nothing!

Anaway Ireland are in similar situation....havnt a hope of beating The Swiss...Wouldnt score in Asterdam...Too many mediocre pit ponies in midfield.....
    Hope Im wrong... but Billy T
    know his fotball....even if I say so mesellww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Well we scored twice in amsterdam only a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Billy Turdhed
    Wouldnt score in Asterdam...but Billy T
    know his fotbal
    I don't think you do know your football mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Honestly can't see us beating the Swiss. They know all they have to do is avoid defeat. They'll pack the midfield and we'll have little chance of breaking them down. I can see it being 1-1. Russia will batter Georgia, they've scored 4 goals in each of their home games so far. Now that ain't bad for an average team !

Stranger things have happened before, so let's all pray for a another night of celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Billy T be a dumbass!

We can beat them but we need to go play with passion from the kick off...

Come on Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I think we can beat them with Keane and Duff playing. My only worry is if Dunne is playing.

Dunne didn't even make the squad so I doubt he will be playing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

Ì think we can do it but we will have to watch the left side especially if Harte is playing there as he is to slow. The swiss can counter attack very quickly and i can see o'shea having a busy night covering Harte

But if Keane and Duff are at full strenght i can see them winning we do need a big quy up front which is where we miss quinn but it has to be someone who is strong and challanges hard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Dunne is injured that's why he's not in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Probably because they have already beaten us at Landsdown.
    Russia and the swiss may be very average sides but the current Irish team have been below average of late. I Hope its only a temporary blip but as you said we are struggling in a very easy Group.

i was at the home tie in landsdown and we still should have beaten them, and we were muck!!

their only decent player (Yakin) is doubtful, and experienced Cabanas is suspended, and the legend Henchoz is lacking practice since his injury, while we have a clean bill of health!!

WE should win convincingly, but what we can and will do are usually completly different

Advertisement