Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft signs residential DSL deal

Options
  • 12-09-2003 1:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Microsoft signs residential DSL deal
    Thursday, September 11 2003
    by Matthew Clark

Announcing a coup in the battle for the growing Irish broadband market, Esat BT said it is connecting the homes of Microsoft workers to its DSL network.

According to the two firms, 500 Microsoft Ireland employees will have Esat BT's ADSL service installed in their homes over the next few months. The deal, described as the largest corporate ADSL agreement in Ireland to date, is thought to be worth in excess of EUR500,000.

It is thought that Microsoft Ireland will foot the bill for participating staff members, most of whom are in the Dublin area where the bulk of the company's Irish workers are located.

From an industry perspective, the agreement means that Esat BT will gain an extra 500 customers, which is a rather large number considering the size of the Irish market. In its latest quarterly update, communications watchdog ComReg estimated the Irish ADSL market at 7,350 subscribers, about twice as many as in the first three months of the year.

[...]

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

All I can say is thank feck Esat got this and not the rat, I know in the end the rat still gets money but its still good news.

I just wish my employer would do tha same thing for me, it being a internet company and all.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by Cabaal
    All I can say is thank feck Esat got this and not the rat, I know in the end the rat still gets money but its still good news.

Not if they are on an "ESAT" exchange....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Unless all Esat exchanges have their own local loop wiring in place, they still have to pay Eircom for the pair of copper to get to all these peoples houses.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by iwb
    Unless all Esat exchanges have their own local loop wiring in place, they still have to pay Eircom for the pair of copper to get to all these peoples houses.

Agreed, ultimatly the rat will get some money out of this deal no matter what way Esat and put it together...

Advertisement