Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I did something really stoopid tonight :-(

Options
  • 19-05-1999 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Picture the scene:
    A man gets a brand spanking new 10 Gig H/D. It intalls perfectly, no-hicups, hums peacefully in it's drive bay. Partition Magics Formats it, but sets it up as drive D:, moving the other three drives up a letter, and hence out of the reach of the regestry. The man things nothing of this, and begins to transfer from one partition to another in an effort to restore the computer to a fully functional. The first drive transfers, and does so fine, but he realises that he copied instead of moving. Again the man thinks nothing of this, and goes into the drive, and shift+deletes the partition, because he doesnt want the hassle of clearing the recycling bin as well. All that goes ok, and he moves onto drive F:. Here he finds something curious.....The drive is empty....He realises to his horror that he deleted the wrong partition...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGGHH. 1.5Gig of mp3s that had been waiting 2 months for transfer to CD, his Quake 3 dir, his tribes dir, his Starcraft dir and a dozen other games that had been occupying his full £Gig partition.

In case you hadn't realised...this person was me tongue.gif

Does anyone know of any software that will recover the partition intact, with all the filenames kept....I tried Norton Utilities, but all it will give me is 23009 txt files:/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Oh god, had the same experience over a month ago wink.gif The reason the new drive became drive D was because you created a primary partition on it. All the primary partitions are listed first in windows and then the logical partitions. Basically I copied the stuff in a partition to the wrong drive and then deleted it. Thing was I knew about that as well but didn't think of it at the time sad.gif Don't know if you can recover it, can't help there sorry. Just want to say you're not alone. It's all microsoft's fault btw, Bill Gates, grrrr wink.gif

You gonna to finish that?
    *munch*munch*

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

My old next door neighbour went one better. He dragged dropped everything over to the drive but selected "Copy as shortcut". then formatted the other drive when it had finished copying and couldn't figure out why nothing was running now.

Insert lame off topic Damo comment below ----V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭ChungKing

Osiris,

I you haven't given up/sorted it out by now I work at symantec up in blanchardstown & can ask someone there if they have any ideas - especially about norton creating text files. (I'm a scumbag contractor in the oracle group so know nuthin about norton utilities, but i can find out smile.gif )

will be in work about 9.30 & it might take me a few hours to get a reply. If you need to contact me mail mmcgrath@symantec.com

hehe like the shortcut story biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hobbes you ****ing muppet I hate you and all you stand for. You're so pathetic and your silly little role playing **** ****es me off so why don't you give us all a break and go back to the freak planet you came from.

Ooops did I post this under the wrong name?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

heeheehee

Damo seems to have taken a dis-like to me too. I don't know why, I've rarely even spoken to the lad. Ah well - I'm sure I won't loose any sleep over it. curlydav.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    homepage.tinet.ie/~davitt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

Sorry bout this ...

Muhahahhha hah hah ha ha he he ho he !!

have the t -shirt !

made my day that has..

YuM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Osi - The word DOOOH comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

there is recovering partions from disstarts like yours, Norton Utilities has a Disk UnFormat, do you have norton or you want me to send you a copy of the disk files you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Enrico Of a Bone said:
    > Osi - The word DOOOH comes to mind.

Me the terrible Tree says:
    > Osi - The word JOOO comes to mind

{!}
    {!}
    {!}
    {!}

GIVE IT TO ME DAVEY {!}

[This message has been edited by ste (edited 19-05-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

hahaha thats great now, hobbes cant post to this board without being aware that i WILL reply with an abusive remark, i think thats great - cardboard axes for all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

There seems to be some confusion here...I didn't actually delete the partition, i deleted all the files in a partition...ya know, ctrl+a then shift+delete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

osiris - u are lucky smile.gif

month agho i used fdisk to partition hard disk, forgot to copy original partition - i ****ed somethig up and all the c:\ turned into garble - including 1000's of pounds worth of my dads autocad livelyhood smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Critic

But, Pat I thought it was Eoin ó Fiacháin who destroyed your comp in a fatal attempt at installing Linux.. smile.gif

Advertisement