Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IIS or similar prog for XP home

Options
  • 12-09-2003 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

so yeah i was wondering is there some similar prog to IIS for xp home, cuz IIS is not compatible with any version of xp home. So i'm wondering is there any similar prog like it that i can use with xp home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

define "similar" -- if you want a webserv : apache,et al.

alternatively: running IIS on XP home (bit dodgy, but you get IIS...)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

WEB - Apache - 60% of the internet can't be wrong...

There are lots of other FREE web servers and ftp servers out there too.

IIS - it isn't secure - if you put this on the internet you need a separate firewall and even then you are wide open to buffer venurabilites etc. which a firewall won't protect you from.

And why are you running XP home - it's a punishment from microsoft for not buying XP pro :)

Don't forget to check your firewall settings to allow stuff out on port 80.

Advertisement