Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

earning money in college..

Options
  • 12-09-2003 4:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

starting college now in a week up in belfast (can't wait wohoo)

.. im beginning to realise that i may infact have to work to earn some beer money in college ...or (set up a side business of burning dvds/cds... which im working on.. omg! illegal!! )

in the meantime however, a job will have to be found.. - where should i look? where are the best places for students to work? .. bars, mcdonalds etc...

any other places... or.. ideas of how to earn some feckin money during college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Sell your bodeh.

Otherwise, get a job in an internet cafe, especially if your course is computer-related. Try to get quiet shifts if possible, as most of your 'work' then involves sitting on your ass for extended periods of time - perfect for studying, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

nice suggestion... i'll look into that as soon as i get up to belfast next week.. the perfect job..

any more..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Working as a security guard is also good.... I don't mean working in a clothes shop, but doing nights on a building site. I work in england doing that, tis handy.... Work friday night and sunday night get paid 24 hours..... basically a weeks work in 2 nights. Also plenty of time to study.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

The guy says he want a job specifically to buy beer and you advise him to work friday and saturday nights at a building site....
    hmmm....

Where I am in college it makes sense to go out during the week as it does in most colleges.... most student nghts are on during the week, clubs tend to be free into and drink is cheaper.... all the locals/non-student rich people come out at the weekend..... only my opinion.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

.. it's true... and it's almost too perfect... - .. a security guard ... now.. only to find an employer willing to take me on... that's the easy part,... right?..

Well scraappy, if the security industry here is anything like it is in England than it'll be easy to get someone to hire you... Security companies are crying out for peopel to work for them. They get lots of people that start and finish after a couple of weeks due to the Shítiness of the hours. I'm in the process of getting my job back from Northern security ltc www.northernsecurityltd.co.uk I'm going to tell them that I want to work saturday and sunday, during the days. I'm sick of night shifts.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I work for these guys - http://www.federalsecurity.ie - but they haven't got much work outside of Dublin so I doubt that will be much good to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Dunno about the rest of you, but I found it incredibly difficult to find any summer work at all. Only just got a job about 2 weeks ago, but I can keep this for when I go back to Uni, so thats not so bad....and the money is great too. T'was indeed a bad summer for students all round.

HA HA, I have a job that I walk into every time I'm back in Ireland.... Permanent contract. ****ty job, but its a job that I can walk into and leave when every I feel like it. 7.32 euro an hour... not the worst wages. Starting to get pissed of with it now, then again I'm leaving in two weeks ;)

John

www.statoil.ie <
    Where I work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Try some call centres. Surprisingly good work when you are in college. Quite a few big companies have set up in Belfast too i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

I advertised in local shops for giving maths grinds and was making €140 extra per week from 3 hours work, which was nice. Was leaving cert pass maths and I had 3 girls all together for an hour twice a week, charging them €20 ph.

Had to do a bit of work at the start mind you, to bring me up to speed with all the stuff I'd forgotten since leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Originally posted by Lump
    .....get paid 24 hours..... basically a weeks work in 2 nights. Also plenty of time to study.........

24 hours a weeks work??? I thought a weeks work was 39 hours?? No??

Well, college work..... you work a few hours during the week and maybe 8 hour on a saturday... I know what I mean even if you don't :P

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i'm in the same situation as Scrappy]-[Nick...

moving to dublin tomorrow to start uni... i NEED to find myself a job to pay for my social life.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Im working in a game shop, earning €8.29/hr, tis easy work and i get to talk about games... really boring though.

Advertisement