Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queens of the Stone Age album

Options
  • 12-09-2003 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭

so i finally got around to listening to Songs for the Deaf (after a little editing) and well its a pretty good album, but i wouldnt say its a five star album (as in the reviews it got when it came out). i'd say its a three star album with an extra star for No One Knows (class song), but one star deducted for all that fake dj nonsense all over the album. if i want to listen to some @rsehole dj i'll turn on the radio.

another thing that bugged me about the album was the false finishing on some of the songs. about three minutes in the song stops, then suddenly it keeps going. now you're probably gonna say that its a parody of radio stations and bands who write songs that clock in at an FM radio-friendly three minutes (and that this parody concept also explains the dj bits) but to me it just sounds like pants. theres being clever and theres being a smart@rse.

anyway does anyone else agree, or should i stick to listening to the pixies and mansun?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

I have to say I loved this album when I first got it, but it gets old fast, try audioslave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

I think its a good album but not as good as their first and second albums. They're both class. You should give them a listen if you are interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I think its a great album but nothing beats the first track of their eponomus first album called "Regular John" amazing tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I like the way Queens of the Stone Age run their albums with interludes (for Rated 'R' and Songs for the Deaf anyway), it works with the body of work nicely, as an album. Press play on your CD player: welcome to the world of Queens of the Stone Age. There are times when I like to listen to just one or two songs without hearing interludes, but I just press the fast-foward button. Thats my experiance anyway.

Rated 'R' is better, but this is still a great album. Like I said, nice body of work, loved it when it first came out. Looking foward to new material, hopefully they'll get back in the studio soon (February at earliest...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

I have to say I loved this album when I first got it, but it gets old fast, try audioslave.

I loved the audioslave album, but then i loved soundgarden so thats about right. did you see them at the Point? fantastic gig. loved the cover of Seven Nation Army

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think its a great album but nothing beats the first track of their eponomus first album called "Regular John" amazing tune.

whats the first track called ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i love the first song on songs for the deaf: You think I ain't worth a dollar...

my favourite on the album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I should have been a bit clearer Tusky the album is called queens of the stone age the track is called Regular John it was released about 98 or 99 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Songs For The Deaf is pretty good, but I find it hard to listen to at times. Go With The Flow is by far the best song on the album.

Stick to Mansun though! Six is the greatest prog-rock album ever. Pity they split up in May, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

cheers !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by DerekD Goldfish
    I should have been a bit clearer Tusky the album is called queens of the stone age the track is called Regular John it was released about 98 or 99 I think.

T'was 98 indeed, on Loosegroove Records (Roadrunner in Europe). Its an amazing album, my favourite Queens one to be honest, and I love the other two as well, so its not like its their only good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

Pity they split up in May, isn't it?

its a shame, or should that be sham, anyway I'm conditioned to accept it all, you see..... possibly one of the best bands of the nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Best band ever, in my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

I really like Queens Of The Stone Age alot but would have to say R rated or their first album is better than Songs For the Deaf..
    Even as much as I like Songs for the deaf.

Anyway they fookin rock!!!!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I like this album, but I also think critics went a bit too mad with the praise. My favourite song is probably "The Sky is Falling".

• Registered Users Posts: 28 R3P0USH0

I think you should try era vulgaris or vinyls of QOTSA

• Registered Users Posts: 28 R3P0USH0

Crucifix wrote: »
    I like this album, but I also think critics went a bit too mad with the praise. My favourite song is probably "The Sky is Falling".

My fav song is god is in the radio

Advertisement